Ruger No. 1 scope question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigtheno

Bearcat
Hello All!!

I just picked me up my very first Ruger no. 1 in 45-70 at my local gun shop. She looks like she's never been shot. My question to everyone is, if she was yours, what scope would you put on her? I'd appreciate any and all suggestions. I can't wait to shoot her. Thank you!!!

No-1

Single-Sixer
I put a 1-3 Weaver on my .458 - figured it'd be best for the shorter range I'll use it at.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I think straight tubes like the Weaver 1 to 3X look great on the No1. I put a Nikon "African" Monarch 1 to 4X on one of mine. For a little more magnification I think the various 2 to 7X works well - Leupold, Nikon or Burris for example.

I am a big fan of Nikon scopes.

Now, your 45-70 will be used at what distances?

I might consider a 3x9x40 just because it would be long enough to provide the correct eye relief.

It is more scope than you need but you can keep it dialed back for closer range action.

Bill

4Sixteen

Bearcat
Leupold Ultralight 2.5x on my No.1 .45-70 8) -

Ruger4570-1.jpg

wunbe

Buckeye
4Sixteen,

I am curious about the scope postioning in the rings.

I need to have my rear rings nearly up against the scope towers to avoid stock creeping and tilting my head way forward.

wunbe

4Sixteen

Bearcat
wunbe said:
4Sixteen,

I am curious about the scope postioning in the rings.

I need to have my rear rings nearly up against the scope towers to avoid stock creeping and tilting my head way forward.

wunbe

With the scope positioned forward, I get more eye relief and the front ring up against the turret body prevents the scope from potentially sliding forward thru the rings from recoil.

BayouBob

Bearcat
If under a hundred yards is your maximum range you might consider a Burris Fast Fire 3. I put one on my #1; 450/400 and it is the fastest to acquire sight of any type I have ever used. Just shoulder the rifle and I'm on target with both eyes open. If you are going with a scope, a low power will generally give you longer eye relief which is nice on a Number One so you don't have to spring for extension rings. Most of the new model Leupolds have excellent eye relief.

bigtheno

Bearcat
Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I think I might be leaning towards the Leupold VX3 1.5-5, my only complaint is the price but I guess you have to spend money to get quality.

My next question is, can anyone suggest a go pair of scope rings for the No. 1 for that particular scope? I'm not much of a scope man so I'm learning as I go. Thanks for the information

dfletcher

Blackhawk
bigtheno said:
Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I think I might be leaning towards the Leupold VX3 1.5-5, my only complaint is the price but I guess you have to spend money to get quality.

My next question is, can anyone suggest a go pair of scope rings for the No. 1 for that particular scope? I'm not much of a scope man so I'm learning as I go. Thanks for the information

Ruger factory will work fine. Rings must be Ruger type. Burris, Redfield and a few others make rings for the Ruger:

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/scope-rings/index.htm?k=ruger&ksubmit=y

So long as you get the proper height, and with a straight tube low should work fine, I don't think brand makes a whole lot of difference. I don't particularly care for the Millet though.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
The Weaver is on sale at MidwayUSA: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183610/weaver-classic-v-series-rifle-scope-1-3x-20mm-dual-x-reticle-matte

Also there is a Leupold 1.5X5 in the Classifieds right now.

Either scope will work with the standard ruger rings. I would go with medium height. Low will work as well but might "slightly" ride the rear sight, depending on which one is on the gun.

Corbi

Latest posts