Ruger No.1 RSI 30-06 Scope suggestions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have been shooting No.1's for a few years now and I normally install 3X9X40 Nikon scopes and call it good.

I want to try something different with my RSI 30-06.

I really like this rifle and it does shoot well.

I see my hunting shots being less than 200 yards.

I target shoot this rifle at 100 yards.

What scopes that are in current production would you recommend for this No.1 RSI 30-06?

Bill

RSIno1

Hunter
I put a 1940s Weaver K-4 on mine. It was at first a nostalgia move. My great uncle gave me the scope in the late 60s when I got my first gun. It was overkill on my 22 so I took it off and put it away. My old eyes now like scopes on everything so I drug it out and put it on my first No1. It works well.

cobalt402

Single-Sixer
Being old school, I tend to favor fixed power scopes, and have 6x on all of my hunting rifles. It fits my uses, and I can think of only one time in the past 40 yrs. when I found it necessary to take a shot past 200 yds. No muss, no fuss, nothing to adjust, and they stand up to harsh conditions without any issues. Point & shoot....

Vortex 1-8x24 or similar. I have a number of No 1 and M77 RSIs with various scope combinations but the compact scopes are my favorites. The large scopes just look ungainly on these short rifles in my opinion.

I'm traveling and can't get to photos so can't share an example.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
I'm a fan of Leupold scopes on my #1 rifles. They are great quality, made in USA and available in gloss finish.

Current favorite is the VX-3 (in single off set rings)but I also use the VX-2 scopes (in doube off set rings).

I would go with a gloss VX3 in 1.75x6 or a gloss VX2 in 2x7. An alternate suggestion would be a VX3 in 2.5x8 or 1.5x5.

Maybe not in current production but they come for sale on occasion.

Thanks for the responses. Hearing from people that actually own these rifles and scopes is key.

I am researching the offset Ruger rings. I like the idea of a shorter overall scope with generous eye relief.

I would prefer finding a new scope. I have been researching the used market.

I have two of the Leupold VX Freedom 1.5 4x20 on other Rugers. These have 4.17 to 3.74 inches of eye relief.

Not completely sure if I would need one or two of the offset rings.

Bill

hammie

Single-Sixer
I lived in Arizona for 40 years, and on mule deer and elk rifles, a 2-7X worked just fine. Plus the 2-7x's are a little smaller and do not overwhelm the ruger internationals.

Looks great!

The scopes with small objectives (i.e., nor flare or bell) always look "right" to me, on the full-stocked rifles.

I don't know why, but I like the look of vertically split rings in that application, too.

Weird how we can get an idea of what looks "right" to us.