Ruger no 1 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
The configuration you describe is refered to as an AB (A weight barrel and beavertail forearm). This was one of the common rifles produced in the first few years of production, then it was dropped until reappearing again in about 1980. It lasted 4 or 5 years this time and was produced in 223, 243, 270, 7x57 and 30-06. It was resurrected once again a few years ago as a special run for Lipseys in 25-06 (with a 24" barrel), and was cataloged for a short time in 204 Ruger with the typical 22 inch barrel. As far as I know, there were never any in 257 Roberts.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I know they made un-sighted ones but not sure if they were AB's or B's. The difference would be the bbl length. All my reference stuff is unaccessable right now.

picketpin

Buckeye
No!!! Unless it's a FOB rifle. The 257 wasn't cataloged until 1980 it has never been cataloged in anything other than the standard "B" mid weight 26" barrel with no sights.

Certainly possible to cut a standard "B" down to 22" but it would be a LOT thicker at the muzzel than the standard "Light Sporter" 22" barrel

An "A" is .562 at the muzzle. A "B" cut of at 22" would be .689. If the rifle in question is .689 or close my bet is a cut off "B"

It may have been re-barreld, there are VERY VERY few 257 Roberts before the 132 serial number range. ANY 257 factory made before 1980 is RARE as hens teeth.

The Lipskey short run was walnut/stainless in the "A" configuration.

Ross

johnhb2

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the help everyone. There is one that I described for sale in Georgia and I was interested in its pedigree. Thanks again for the help. John

johnhb2

Single-Sixer
I got the serial number and called ruger and they said it was shipped in 257 roberts but did have a 26 inch barrel. I guess its been cut. Thanks everyone. John

picketpin

Buckeye
Johm: In case you didn't ask, Ruger will install the correct barrel on it for $396.40.

If the rifle has great wood or is a fairley early 132 or the price is right you could always buy it and send it back to have re-barreled by the factory and have a very nice "correct" rifle at a reasonable price.

Last year I bought a 257Ackley Improved #1 off GunBroker for $505. I confirmed it had shipped as a 257 Roberts "B" and that they still had correct barrels and the price.

After the gun arrived I sent it back to Ruger and had it re-barreled to 257 Roberts for the cost quoted above. This is a early gun that shipped in 1980, the first year that the Bob was offered in the catalog. So it is correct with a warning barrel and a square red pad. This one has lovely red wood.

I then used the perfectly good 257 Ackley Improved barrel and stuck it on a 243 "B" with nice wood but of no particular rarity. The smith charged me $150 to install and head space it to the rifle.

If you aren't interested in the rifle and the price is right I'd sure be interested and appreciate a heads up on a private note.

That the barrel was cut was my best guess. I've never even heard rumors of a 22" "A" 257 Roberts other than the stainless/walnut Lipskey Special. I have also never heard a rumor of anything other than a factory "B" in over 40 years of this game.

the best

Ross

picketpin

Buckeye
Matt: Yes it would. Lipskey is supposedly making a run of "A" rifles in 250-3000. Of course we have been waiting impatiently for almost 3 years for them to appear.

They do still say they are goig to make them but haven't assigned a date yet.

I got tired of waiting on an "A" or "AB" 257 Roberts some years ago and built an "AH" same rifle but with the Alex Henry forearm in 257 Ackley Improved. I chose it over the standard 257 Roberts ONLY because I found a stainless match grade Shilen barrel in the "A" profile, 22" long that had been fluted. I used a 243 "A" as the donor rifle so I didn't have to change the extractor and the rib fir perfectly and sling band just slipped on.

Last year I bought a set of Conetroll rings and a Conetrol base that fit and replaced the rib and factory rings. It didn't save any weight but those Conetrol rings without screws or projection do look cool. It's scoped with a Leupold MKII 2x7 Mini and YES it is a great little rifle and Ruger should make a factory "A", "AB" or "AH" in 250-3000 or 257 Roberts!!

the best

Ross

kevin seyer

Single-Sixer
Hello all on this note has me curious i was going to post a new thread but this seems to be going the way it seems. i just purchased a #1a 257 roberts a lepseys run supossed 250 exclusive run.its s/s does anyone know what yr this was run?
Thanks Kevin