Ruger No. 1 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike722

Buckeye
I recently traded for a nice Ruger number 1 in 6mm. I was told is was a 1-B, it dates to 1985 with the red pad. It has the sling stud in the forend like a 1-B, as well as a 26" barrel, but it has iron sights and rings. I checked a 1984 catalog I had, as well as a few other catalogs from the 1990s, but I can't find this configuration...the 6mm is only listed as a V or a B with no sights..what do I have and what exactly do I call it?

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
The 1B with sights was made in 1968-69; all I have seen have a front sight grooved for a hood. I am not aware of any cataloged or Distributor Exclusives made up after this in this configuration in any caliber.
Unless Ruger Records can confirm it, my belief is that it is a made up rifle.
Just my 2 cents worth!

picketpin

Buckeye
Mike is the rifle a non prefix serial number? As mentioned above the only "B"s in 6mm that I'm aware of in this configuration would have been non prefix rifles and even thern quite rare.

On the other hand all the parts to put factory sights on a standard "B'of the 1980s vintage were/are available from the factory or as take of parts from a "S" model barrel.

If your rifle does in fact letter from the factory with sights be sure and let us know and for goodness sake ask for a letter.

I'd be surprised but with Ruger nothing is impossible.

the best

Ross

A

Anonymous

Mike I had a ,270 that met your description. I never knew if it came as a stock item or was built in the early days when you could have a #1 built . I wish I had kept mine.

mike722

Buckeye
I called Ruger this morning, they said it was shipped as a number 1-B in 6mm.. but couldn't advise whether it shipped with iron sights or not.. they are most definitely Ruger factory front and rear sights..

picketpin

Buckeye
My best bet would be that it's a rifle with factory parts added after the fact.

The rib with the correct rear sight slow is part #5131 and costs $55.50.
The rear sight is part #D77 and costs $12.07.

I didn't price the entire front sight last week as I lready have several on the work bench but the spring for the front blade is #d68 and the plunger is part # D69 they each cost $2. If I remember correctly the cost of a front sight is about $55 by the time you buy all the pieces and parts.

I have also removed them from the barrels of 7mm Mags in the "S" profile bought as parts guns.

Sadly with Ruger not keeping more accurate records (maybe) there is simply o way to prove it's a real factory rifle and for me at least it would be a modified "B" albeit an insteresting one.

I have several that I've made up as "S" rifles with sights and the Alex Henry forearm including a factory 257 Roberts and a 270 Weatherby. I also made my 30-338 as a "B" with sights as I figured my chances of finding a sighted "B" even in the early non prefix guns is somewhere between slim and less than none, so I made one. Actually I've made 3 or 4 for friends and family in other calibers.

To be honest I've never heard of or seen a prefixed rifle in the "B" in this configuration that I thought was legitimate nor have I ever seen or heard of a short run in any caliber assembled in the configuration.

At least they stuck with factory sights which is a plus.

The best

Ross

mike722

Buckeye
gewehrfreund":1ua9o0yx said:
How about some pictures?

382251496.jpg

382251489.jpg

382251505.jpg

382251500.jpg

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Based on your pictures, I'd say it is defintely an "after-factory" sight job. The front sight base sits quite a bit farther back on the barrel than any gun done by Ruger. Still looks nice though; like an early BBS.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
picketpin said:
To be honest I've never heard of or seen a prefixed rifle in the "B" in this configuration that I thought was legitimate nor have I ever seen or heard of a short run in any caliber assembled in the configuration.

Ross: First, There are some dated reports that a group of unsold #1B barreled actions went back to the factory and were then stocked and had front & rear sights installed. My recollection is that Neill Bennett of Busy Bee Guns was a principal in the process. These letter as only #1B configuration rifles, and unless the staff in Records can/will access later shipping records, that #1B is the final and only configuration status one will receive.
Second, I do know of lettered 26" S-type beavertail forearm model rifles in the prefixed SN runs that have both rings and sights, cal. 6MM, 270, and 30 06.
There needs to be more studies on these uncommon variations and further, WBR should have offered them. Splitz 8)

picketpin

Buckeye
Michael: I'd never argue with you. The problem how in the world one research it and if it doesn't letter then what?

The front sight REALLY does appear to far back too me and the factory methodology of attaching the front sight is pretty consistent in where the front sight ends up. After all the "B" and "S" barrels are the same barrel. I went out and measured some "S" factory rifles and there is less than .002 difference between 8 of them. This rifle appears to have the front sight t the rear more than normal.

I have a couple that look like that,. I made them. Because the individual can't do it the same way as the factory shrink/heat you end up reaming out the inside of the sight band till it will slip on the barrel and sometimes if you get that a little off they slide back just a bit further than a guy would prefer.

On the other hand I sort of thought it a plus because there simly was no qquestion that it wasn't something I assembled and no issue as to whether it's factory or not.

To take that a bit further, just in case I sell one and somebody tries to pass it off as factory, I use an engraving pen and put the FACTORY configuration on the forearm hanger like the early non prefix rifles.

Of course I also engrave serial numbers of the original rifle on take off barrels just so people can't claim it's a "special" made 5 years after the warning and ...................................................................................

So who sold the re-sighted rifles?? I have to say again that I certainly never saw one out here or was offered one in that time frame.

The other question would be the issue of "Factory"??? Are the rifles I send back and the factory installs Alex Henry forearms on "Factory" and arethey a "B" with a an Alex Henry forearm and a barrel bnd or are they an "S" without sight or maybe just a rifle some guy (me) messedwith after the fact???

the best

Ross

Latest posts