Ruger No. 1 / No. 3 Ejector Help Needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
My new to me No. 3 is not ejecting, and I thought it was chipped. It wasn't. On closer examination, I discovered that the ejector is not slipping behind the case rim when the action is closed. However, when I push it forward with a pick, it snaps behind the rim and ejects properly.

So, what is preventing the ejector from moving fully forward? It can't be something blocking it, because it did move forward easily when I pushed it. I have the ejector spring tensioned in about the middle setting.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
So, looking at the parts drawings, I wonder if the ejector roller is missing? I will completely disassemble it later today and check. Luckily (and unlike the ejector) Numrich's has the rollers I stock if that's the case.

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
I disassembled it and there weren't any missing parts. But, when I removed the ejector, the spring and plunger fell out along with a wad of cloth or electrical tape or something:
9D274B6D-5A62-483F-99B1-53079DA7F90E.jpeg

Also, it looks like something took a Dremel to the forward edge of the ejector. Apparently, a previous owner had the same problem but had no idea how to fix it. The problem isn't lack of clearance in the ejector slot or sufficient side pressure from the plunger spring. The roller just isn't pushing the ejector far enough forward.

I noticed that when I dry fire, the ejector does move forward enough. I'm not sure why. Is this a design feature or a bug?

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
I think what I need to do is adjust the interface between the ejector and ejector roller (circled in red below) to force the ejector to move a little more forward.
68C07EA4-A41A-40DC-ABA2-0E39F20F03F6.jpeg

I could accomplish this with an oversized roller (if there is room to fit one) or by peening the ejector on both sides in that area to move the contact surface out some. I don't think it would take much.

Thoughts?

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
I spoke with Roger Renner and he suggested heating and bending the ejector. I also had a board member volunteer to send me his small collection of ejectors to try. When they arrived, none fixed the problem. The ejectors still needed to be pushed ever so slightly forward (towards the muzzle) to allow the ejector to snap behind the rim. So, I took Roger's advice and heated my ejector with a MAPP torch in my vice and pried the ejector arm forward just a bit. After it cooled, I reassembled the rifle, and the problem was solved! It now reliably ejects empty brass and loaded rounds.

Hopefully this helps anyone else who has the same problem. My guess is that something is just slightly out of spec, either the ejector roller or possibly the barrel.