Ruger no 1 Eye Relief Issue with Scope too Far Forward

Help Support Ruger Forum:

corgiman

Bearcat
Last week I bought a new Ruger no 1s in 35 Whelen (trading in the 77 I had just taken an elk with). I drove from gunstore to gunstore on my return trip from Alberta, finally found one near Minneapolis.

I knew that grip size on the stock would lead me to getting a custom stock, but was unaware that the LOP might be constrained because the scope ends up so far forward.

Solutions I'm looking at now are compromising on the LOP or using a picatinny rail from Evolution Gun Works.

Adding this as an edit in response to two quick and very good recommendations. Ruger is sending me a set of extended rings. They are middle height (4), lower than those supplied initially. And I am looking for some vintage scopes, single power Weavers could work. I do have a very old Weaver 2.5 that I'll try.

I have two Leupold scopes that have fairly long eye relief, a VX3-1.75 to 6 and a single power 2.5 power, but they won't quite do it.

I have two Rugers custom stocked a 77 in 7-08 and a 77/22.

The Nikon African, recommended by Salarguy, is no longer available, but has been replaced by the Nikon German. That would be a good configuration for the whitetail hunting I'll probably be limited to the remainder of my days after all I spent on the Alberta elk.

corgiman

Bearcat
Gramps 51 and The Preacher see my edit in original message in response to your excellent suggestions. This will be an interesting exercise. The EGW rail would allow me to use my EOTech. No eye relief issues with that. On my 77 in 7-08 I had a custom barrel with a rail allowing use of the EOTech. Had some negative reactions to some who saw that on a otherwise traditional rifle, but that setup accounted for three whitetails opening weekend last year.

wunbe

Buckeye
I also find the standard Leupold fixed 6x 42s give me all the rearward adjustment I need. They also give great low light service and you can get them with 4A bold crosshairs that really stand out in low light and against dark woods. I have one on my Whelen 1S.

wunbe

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
Go with the off set rings and search the net for the longest eye relief scope that will meet your needs. My #1 RSI in 7x57 has offset rings and a Leupold 1.5-5 on top. I even have this problem with all my rifles. As a 5'10" former power lifter, my chest and neck shortens my LOP.

salarguy

Bearcat
I've been using a Nikon African 1-4X20 on my Liberty#1B 7MM. Mag.since 2010. Oct. 2010 was the end of a long search for a scope to both suit the rifle, but also the short armed, short necked,and far sighted owner. With the constant 3.7 eye relief and medium standard rings my sight picture is as good as it gets. I'm not even sure if it's still available, but it should be.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
As already mentioned, "vintage" scopes are a better option on Number 1s even with set back rings. The reason is older scopes tend to have more tube behind the adjustments than newer scopes, which gives more room to slide scope back

chilidog

Single-Sixer
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Burris-Fullfield-6-18x40mm-AO-Rifle-Scope-USA-Minty-/172355383185?nav=SEARCH
Old Burris Fullfield scope. Not fullfield II. Very loooong!

wunbe

Buckeye
Before buying any Burris scope check by personally measuring the eye relief. Their claimed eye relief is often way shorter in reality. I had 3.5x8 Signature that was impossible to shoot w/o some eyebrow contact -- on checking, it's eye relief was an inch shorter than Burris claimed. An expensive tent peg.

wunbe

wunbe

Buckeye
Those bolt guns are another topic entirely.

The Ruger 1s have a specific design feature -- rrr, mistake -- that limits rearward positioning of most modern scopes and forces many -- most? -- shooters to creep the stock and risk eyebrow contact on firing.

wunbe

corgiman

Bearcat
Wunbe . . . That design feature on the Ruger no 1 hadn't caught my notice as I read, mostly Boddington in his book and most recently, in Guns&Ammo. The EOTech on 7-08 certainly will clear eyebrows, but raise some too, when they see that mix of the traditional looking single shot and a sight associated with ARs.

I've ordered the EGW rail.