Ruger No 1 - 7.62x54r

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
I've been wanting to start a No 1 collection for a while now. I haven't bought one yet but have spent the last couple years pondering what cartridge I'd want it chambered in. I've come to the conclusion that cartridge is 7.62x54r. It's got all the performance and versatility of .308, recoil is light enough to enjoy extended shooting sessions, the rimmed case goes perfect in a single shot rifle, it'd be the only rifle in that cartridge commercially produced by an American gun maker since about 1916, and it'd go perfect with my Mosins and the ammo I load for them.

What are the chances Ruger ever builds this? Seems like there'd be somewhat of a market for such an animal given all the mosin-nagants and ammo in American shooters hands nowadays. I'm kinda surprised no American gun company has made a rifle in the cartridge yet.

Or should I just grab one of the 7.62x39 #1's and ream the chamber out?

gatling

Blackhawk
That would be very cool, I think. I shoot my Mosin-Nagant about as much as any rifle I own and I load for it. It's amazingly accurate. I think it would be cool to have one in a No. 1.

picketpin

Buckeye
Never chambered by the factory, either cataloged or a special/short run.

If you want one your buy the 7.62X39 seems a viable option. Of course then it's just another used/rechambered #1 with little to no extra/collector value,

RWT

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
Yeah I'm wondering because the 7.62x39s are cheap right now. But of course if I do that it'll be 3 months later that Ruger releases the factory version and then mine will just be an "incorrect" used gun worth less than half what I have into it.

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
Seems like the 7.62x54R is kinda like a 30-06 with a rim. Either one is a pretty good cartridge and has been for generations, don't you think?

Everyone that has a no.1 has a collectable seems like. That aside, I would ponder options since the factory has not done such a chambering in that caliber that I remember:

The existing 7.62x39's are probably in the "A" configuration. Does that meet your criteria?

If the "A" is ok, then is there any issue with the 7.62x39 donor's bore diameter and twist when updated to the larger round? I really do not know for sure, but do remember that the smaller case had some larger bores(ie what is Ruger's barrel's made to?), and the smaller bullet may or may not come into play with the 7.62x54's longer/bigger bullet(twist rate)? All may be good, but might check it out for yourself. Will the 54 chamber clean up the 39 chamber properly?, probably, but seeing the specs is on the way to believing.

If the "A" is not ok as to what you want, then the Ruger no.1 action is very flexible. Rebarrel to the 7.62x54R, buy the 10 dollar extractor if needbe, and you have a rifle. Taking the barrel off of a factory rifle should not hurt its perceived value if done correctly; can always be put back on for a sale. Donor No.1's are still around in the 400-700 dollar range for what that is worth, barrel blanks abound, and smiths to rebarrel No.1's abound as well(that is if they want to do it, nothing magical about the work, other than a bit more than a bolt gun).

A Shilen #4 will fit the B forearm, a Shilen #2 will fit the A forearm without mods to said respective forearm. Obviously, has to be machined at the right place for that fitment.

Good luck on the quest for the right case and rifle. I hope Ruger continues to make the action, we can go from there...

Roof

Rocdoc

Buckeye
The recent blued Ruskie 7.62x39 #1A has a .311 bore according to word I got from Lipseys who had them made.

Valmet

Single-Sixer
For now I'd believe that one reason the folks at Ruger aren't mfg'ing a #1 in 54R is the fact that lots of folks would likely look at an expensive (albeit, awesome) #1 in 54R and think, "why would I spend $1k on this if I can spend $200-250 on a "historical" Mosin?"

Don't get me wrong I'd much rather a #1 in that chambering, but from a marketing standpoint I don't see it happening anytim soon.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I reload the 7.62x54R for my Mosins, and my biggest "problem" is the availability of reasonably priced brass. You've gotta watch and be ready to jump on it when it becomes available. Lapua, OTOH, is readily available, but at $1+ per round just for the brass, it's not a good option for my Mosins. Might be great for a No. 1, though, assuming Ruger would do their part with the rifle.

Considering the accuracy of several of the Mosins our litle group (headed by fellow member gatling) shoots, even with milsurp ammo, the cartridge should be plenty accurate. There's a reason Lapua makes the brass, too: apparently there are a number of spendy long range target rifles in use in Europe chambered for this round.

Rick C

eastbank

Single-Sixer
pretty sure it will not happen, but don,t say never as they made it in .303 british. eastbank.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
eastbank said:
pretty sure it will not happen, but don,t say never as they made it in .303 british. eastbank.

Can never say never, but would bet money against it. I do like the obselete/obsecure cartridges though that do the job intended.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
41-44-45-48 said:
Yeah I'm wondering because the 7.62x39s are cheap right now. But of course if I do that it'll be 3 months later that Ruger releases the factory version and then mine will just be an "incorrect" used gun worth less than half what I have into it.
roofinspector said:
If the "A" is ok, then is there any issue with the 7.62x39 donor's bore diameter and twist when updated to the larger round?
41-44-45-48 If you are pretty sure they are not going to make one in the near future why not have one made (rechambered) and enjoy it? Seems like a no-brainer to me.