Ruger No 1 - 45-70 load info

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jrc270

Bearcat
Just got a new No 1 Sporter in 45-70.

Looking at the latest load data from the major players, I am looking at trying the two 4198 powders (IMR and Hodgdon), IMR 3031 and RL-7.

Bullet choice... probably Hornady in either the 300 or 350 grain FN.

For those of you who have loaded any of the above powder/bullet combinations, any feedback on performance and accuracy loads would be appreciated.

Hodgdon/IMR list two of the highest powder loads compared to anyone else (H4198 at 63.0 grains and IMR 4198 at 58.5 grains behind Sierra 300 grain bullets). If anyone has tried either of these I would be interested in those results.

Thank you.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Crimping is not required since you have a single shot rifle, I load for the .444 Marlin, which is also a straight walled cartridge and I use H4198 with great results.

I have to lightly crimp because I am loading for a lever gun. In your situation I would lightly crimp just to make sure the bullet stays in place. I know the case neck tension is probably high enough, but just a slight crimp is all I would do.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I lightly crimp for my H&R Handi Rifle in 45-70. I tend to put a little extra bell on the mouth to prevent collapsing the case so the crimp adds that little extra hold on the bullet while the powder is building up pressure.

I don't know how much recoil you enjoy, but 58 grains of 3031 under a 300 gr Hornady JHP shoots very nice out of the Handi and the recoil is very tolerable. It'll get you 2,000 fps and is below max for Trapdoor rifles. I personally don't need any more abuse than that, but YMMV. :D :shock:

Latest posts