Ruger No.1 44 Mag Scope options

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hello,

I will have a No.1 in 44 Mag soon and I am considering options.

What optics will you use it for?

Should I use open sights?

Use:

Plinking, close range hunting.

I have a Leupold FX II 2.5x28 IER Scout scope.

I have several No.1's with 3x9x40 scopes that I mount them far enough back to not "climb the rifle".

Fast reloads are not required and I have enjoyed that set up.

I am thinking about a departure from that direction.

Close range rifle so I am thinking, open sights or low magnification scope.

Scout scope will need to be mounted forward as possible. Want to avoid rail install due to height.

Anyone have a Scout scope on their No.1?

How is it working for you?

Or, other options? Open sights?

I have a few days to ponder this issue before my rifle arrives. Lots of sales this weekend so I might make a purchase if I am convinced on a course of action.

Bill

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
I went with the skinner peep sight and a slightly taller front sight. If I were looking for an optic, the Leupold 1 to 4 power would be on the short list. It might be the only optic on the list.

pete44ru

Hunter

With an eye relief of 9", the Scout scope should work well - to check, just throw the scope on it, mount the rifle, then have somebody actually measure the distance from the rear of the scope to your shooting eye. (my eye distance was 9-1/2", which worked out well)

You can move the scope back/forth a bit, until you get a full/clean sight picture after comfortably mounting the rifle with closed eyes, then quickly opening your eyes (B 4 your eyes can change focus) w/o moving your head.

Littlebluetruck

Bearcat
Hello,
I love using scout scopes on my #1's. I have the Leupold 2.5x28 on a 1S in 9.3x62 and it is a good setup for me. I have moved towards the Leupold 1.25-4x scout scope on my other #1's and it is about perfect for me with its 6-7" eye relief. The turrent sits right between the rings and it works on the bench and offhand.

I must add a disclaimer that due to my physical geometry, I usually need to move scopes back on my rifles to get good offhand eye relief. The #1 has the rings far enough forward that the shorter eye relief scout scopes are perfect. I have even used the Burris 2.75x scout on a #1 in a pinch, but it really wanted to be a bit further away from my eye.

I understand that the scout scopes will have less field of view than the regular eye relief scopes, but I love the #1 and cannot see the sights well anymore.
Rich

jyo

Single-Sixer
I have a Leopold VX111 (?) 1.5-5X on my Browning BLR in .308---I think this would be ideal on a .44 Mag rifle/carbine...

For such a gun and cartridge, take a look at the 1x4x20 VX-HOG from Leupold. I've used it with .357 and .44 rifles, and I consider it a very worthwhile choice.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/shotgun-scopes/vx-hog-1-4x20mm

LucidShooter

Bearcat
Those all sound like very fine scopes.. I would also check out the Lucid Optics 1-6X24..Very robust and has an illuminated etched reticle.. I have had this scope on a 308 for a year now and approx 500 rounds without issue.. They also have a lifetime warranty.