Ruger No 1 - 375 H&H

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jrc270

Bearcat
Years ago I had a Browning A-Bolt in 375 H&H, and have regretted selling it.

However, I now have the chance to pick up a No 1 Tropical Stainless in 375 H&H.

For those of you that have this gun and caliber, how do you like it, how is it's accuracy, etc?

I remember the recoil (Federal ammo - 300 grain Nosler Partition) as being a big push, unlike a 300 Weatherby I had that was a bit on the stout snappy side ( to me it was annoying compared to the 375).

Additionally, since I now handload, do any of you have any loads worked up using either IMR 4064 or IMR 4350 powders?

I have the manuals, but like to hear what actual experiences are.

Thanks for your feedback.

MFD

Bearcat
Hello,
Can't truly answer your questions, but I have the SS Tropical in 458Lott/458WinMag and understand the stainless version has been discontiued?? The rifle is quality all around for the dollar spent, and the extra heavy barrel used is a plus in the big bores as 375HH or certainly the Lott version. I would assume the one you are looking at is laminated stock? and they are nicely done, but wish it had checkering on it to help in holding securely during recoil. In 375HH it should be very manageable, but I put mercury recoil reducer in the butt stock and it helps. Another additon I did was to purchase one of the velcro attached leather recoil pads offered by Ruger direct. With the recoil reducer and the leather butt pad, even with full house Lott loads it is not punishing to shoot, but lets you know it went off!! Had mine now for year or so and frankly one of the most enjoyable Rugers I shoot. I use some quality gas checked cast(400gr range) and load to around 2000fps and deadly accurate and that would work just as well for the 375HH, lead bullets that is. Good rifles and one of Ruger's better efforts for me anyway.

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
all of the 375 #1's I have ever owned have been the best shooting rifles I have. One hole (5-shot) groups or close to it are the norm.

Other nice thing is they will shoot any ammo you stuff in the chamber to the same (or close to it) point of impact

I do not think you will regret it

Dave

Boxhead

Blackhawk
I always thought that the 375 H&H's Ruger put out, whether M77 RSM's or #1's, were tanks being much "more" than necessary. If I wanted a 375 bore Ruger there is no question that it would be a 375 Ruger bolt gun. It is the size/weight a 375 should be IME.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Here's the straight SKINNY :roll: ...........There are three calibers to own, primarily due to their flexibility:
1. 30 06
2. 300 H&H
3 (tossup, 2&3) 375.......... elephants vs. buffalo
Look at the "loading books" :)

After that, buy a classic 10/22, or, as I remain crazy for them, a Winchester Model 63.....Love 'em, with a passion............... 8) :wink:

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
Mike I certainly hope you are not suggesting that a person only owns three Number Ones. That would be sacrilege!!! :lol:

I am not an '06 fan though admit its flexibility.

As for the other three, I am with ya. I just hope I am never limited to just those three

Dave

2000Z-71

Bearcat
I can't comment directly on the No. 1 in .375 since my .375 is a Winchester 70, I have done some time working up handloads for it. My the most promising load is a 300gr. Barnes TSX over 72.0 grains of RL-22. This load produced 1"-3/4" groups for me at 100 yards. For a dangerous game rifle, I'm more than happy with this level of accuracy.

The Barnes bullets represented a huge improvement in accuracy over the Hornady sprire points that I started my .375H&H reloading with. With similar powder charges and the Hornadys I was seeing 3"+ groups. I usually start my reloading projects with Hornady sprire points regardless of the cartridge. They're usually priced lower than most other manufacturers and generally give me an idea for which powders and seating depths a particular rifle may like.

As far as recoil, the .375 is not something I enjoy shooting off the bench. I just consider it a necessary evil to zero a scope and develop a load. Other than that I practice field positions with the rifle. Recoil is stiff but it is not the snap that my .340 Weatherby Accumark is.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I've got one but blued and walnut.

8.25 pounds with 1" leather military sling and Leupold VX1 2-7x33 scope now.

With factory sights it shoots 7/8ths to 1 1/8ths inch groups with Federal 300 grain RN ammo and the same with my handloads (300 grain Sierra SBT over 75 grains of IMR 4350, CCI LRm primer in WW cases for 2455-2475 fps.

I put a NECG peep on it before I scoped it and that cut my groups to between half inch and 5/8ths inches. Then I bought the above mentioned scope and it shoots one hole, 5 shot groups at 100 yards when Im having a good day.

Recoil is a good stiff push but not a head snapper. Off the bench it will get your attention and 40-50 rounds off the bench will give me a headache but knowing exactly where its shooting, I nkow I can then move to field positions shots and i get the giggles knowing if I can see it, I can hit it and smack the snot out of it. (must be the concussion talking)

Incredible rifles and this one was the beginning of the end for me. Im rapidly turning into a Number 1 junky and single shot lover. Gotta have more!

MMichaelAK":qtkvezl8 said:
I've got one but blued and walnut.

8.25 pounds with 1" leather military sling and Leupold VX1 2-7x33 scope now.

With factory sights it shoots 7/8ths to 1 1/8ths inch groups with Federal 300 grain RN ammo and the same with my handloads (300 grain Sierra SBT over 75 grains of IMR 4350, CCI LRm primer in WW cases for 2455-2475 fps.

I put a NECG peep on it before I scoped it and that cut my groups to between half inch and 5/8ths inches. Then I bought the above mentioned scope and it shoots one hole, 5 shot groups at 100 yards when Im having a good day.

Recoil is a good stiff push but not a head snapper. Off the bench it will get your attention and 40-50 rounds off the bench will give me a headache but knowing exactly where its shooting, I nkow I can then move to field positions shots and i get the giggles knowing if I can see it, I can hit it and smack the snot out of it. (must be the concussion talking)

Incredible rifles and this one was the beginning of the end for me. Im rapidly turning into a Number 1 junky and single shot lover. Gotta have more!

I have been getting by with a couple of #1's, but like you, I have the need to get more. I have had about a dozen or so and currently have 6. Always room for more! :D

Dave