Ruger NM Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alan S

Bearcat
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I've been looking into single action revolvers recently and was thinking about getting a NM single six. Today I was able to hold an old model single six, and it was a little large for me. I have pretty small hands, apparently, and the full-size SAAs are too big for me. I was wondering if anyone with experience with both the old and new model single six can tell me: is the NM single six smaller than the old model? I was at a gun show last weekend and I'm pretty sure I held a new model and liked the feel, but now I'm not positive.

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Alan

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I believe the OM & NM Single Sixes are the same size. If they are different it sure isn't by much. There are a 'few' OM experts here that can verify. Is it the grip or the gun as a whole that feels too big?

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
I think the real answer for you will lie in the Bearcat if the Single Six is too big. The Bearcat is smaller, and would probably fit you really well and you would still have a single action .22 that is quality built.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Now,, the basic size of the Single-Six's are the same. However,, there ARE some differences in the grip DESIGN! If you got ahold of an OM,, it could have one of a couple of different grip frames,, vs a NM. That may be why it felt different to you.
Also, if you do like the Single-Six model,, then you can also get a set of custom stocks to fit your hands.
Just a few things to think about.

G2

Hunter
The first OM guns have the XR3 Grip Frame, which are a little bit smalller than the Later OM and now NM Grip Frames which are XR3-RED.

In my hand the XR3 feels smaller than the XR3-RED, Now the key words are "In my hand"

My advise, take your time, shop around, read up, take notes, If your looking for a shooter there are lot's of them out there and you will be able to get what you want and feels right too.

If you have small hands you should look at what is called gunfighter grip panels, they are slim and thin giving a smaller hand a better fit.

There are several members in your area, maybe you can hook up with one and go shoot the Single Six before you buy. The Old Model first generation guns have slightly smaller grip frames but I doubt you have seen one of them. The later OMs and the New Models built since the early 70's are basically the same. The Single Six has a smaller frame than it's bigger brothers and is a great shooting single action firearm. Lots of fun and cheap to shoot. I'd suggest looking for a good used firearm as a first purchase and learn how to safely shoot it before graduating to other calibers. If the Single Six is too big for your hand, then the Bearcat might be something to look at.
And WELCOME to the forum!

G2

Hunter
Alan S

I did'nt see that this was your first post, Welcome!!

Also if you would like to shoot some Single Sixes OM, NM, Short, Med, and Long Barrels, Ect., I would be happy to meet up. You will have to drive to St. George/ Mesquite. ~120 miles.

Alan S

Bearcat
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, and the advice. It looks like I may have to think about this some more. Like I said, I was at a gun show last weekend and saw a number of single actions. Originally I was going to buy a New Vaquero, but the frame is just a little too tall for me to comfortably cock it with one hand. The .22s that I held were much better. The problem is that I've called around town and only two places have single sixes. The one I held yesterday was an old model and felt a little big for comfort. They also had a used Colt Frontier Scout that was probably 90-95%. I really liked how that felt, but was unsure about getting a used one, as I'm not that familiar with used guns. Also, the Colt had grips that were thinner in the middle than at the bottom or top. They were the rubber Colt grips with medallions. Is that standard for the Scout or were those special grips?

What do you guys think about the Frontier Scout, or are there other options you guys recommend, other than the Bearcat?

Thanks again,
Alan

winterwood

Single-Sixer
IMHO there is nothing wrong with the Colt Scout as a plinker, but I don't think they are worth the current market prices for something to shoot. If you are/were into collecting them, there were a number of special editions and the plain janes, but they often go for twice or more the price of a really nice single six.
I like the OM and NM sixes and have special spot in my heart for the bearcat. I think most of us agree that it is not a small copy of the single six, but as originally designed, a revolver with a unique personality.
I am sure you will find a welcome place on this forum; it has been a source of information and pleasure to me.

Alan S

Bearcat
Thanks Winterwood. The Scout I saw is actually about the same price as a lot of the single sixes I've seen ($450). Looking online that seems to be a good price from what I've seen. The OM single six at the same store was $599, :shock: which to me is overpriced.

It might also help if I specify my problem. In shooting position, I've found most of the single actions comfortable to hold. The problem is that I really have to stretch to be able to cock it one-handed. Obviously the single six, etc. 7/8 size revolvers are easier, but I know from looking at dimensions online that some are taller than others by as much as 1/4 inch. The OM single six I held was better than a Vaquero, but not as comfortable as the Colt Scout. Originally I wanted to get one NIB, since I am not that experienced with used guns. Now, though, I'm liking the Colt more. The serial # is 171xxxF, and it was made in 1963 and is about 95%.

What are your guys' opinions?

Thanks again for the input,
Alan

ClemBert

Bearcat
Take a look at http://www.gunbroker.com to get a good handle on price and different configurations of the Single Six. One thing to look into are thinner grips for a Single Six. Also, as previously suggested, take a look at the Ruger Bearcat.

Latest posts