Ruger New Model Blackhawk with Super Blackhawk grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bear62041

Bearcat
I got off the phone with Ruger Tech Dept today and sat a while in shock. It seems the New Model Blackhawks in blue with black grips all have the security lock and the smaller grips and grip frame.
BUT, the stainless steel model with the wood grips is a different story: no security lock key, AND the grips and grip frame are from the Super Blackhawk, and are slightly larger.
I just ordered a stainless 45 LC 4 5/8" barrel with rosewood grips. Now I'm anxious to see if what Ruger told me is true. I'll know by Thursday of this week when the gun arrives.
Ruger could give no reason for the N.M. Blackhawk cylinder frame and Super Blackhawk grips and grip frame.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
The short barreled Super Blackhawks (less than 7-1/2" barrel length) use the same grip frame as the NM Blackhawks, not visa versa. For whatever reason, Ruger has not designed the lock into the new stainless revolvers, yet.

I would be pleasently suprised if you got the dragoon sized grip frame with your NM Blackhawk, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
My understanding is that if it ships w/ the black plastic grips it has the lock. If it has wood grips then no lock.

rhatimi

Bearcat
Does anyone here know if ruger is planning on incorporating locks on all of the blackhawks and super blackhawks in stainless?

1ruger

Single-Sixer
rhatimi":3mdz750s said:
Does anyone here know if ruger is planning on incorporating locks on all of the blackhawks and super blackhawks in stainless?

I'm sure it will be incorporated into all models in future :evil:

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Full size Blackhawks do not have the NV lockwork, only the mid size frame guns have it.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Silent Sam":1d0gab2h said:
Full size Blackhawks do not have the NV lockwork, only the mid size frame guns have it.

That is completely false. My good buddy has an early 2009 vintage NMBH with the lock in an aluminum XR3-RED grip frame. The only single actions that don't have the locks now are the stainless guns with wood grips. If it comes with the plastic grips, it will have a lock, for both the XR3-RED and the "new" XR3.

It is demonstrated in their owner's manuals:

http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/blackhawk.pdf

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Lockwork not locks. Perhaps a poor choice of words. It was in response to batmann's question above. The presence of a lock in the grip has no correlation with how the cylinder indexes.

flatgate

Hawkeye
ManualsDrawing.jpg

Not the best image, but it's from the www.ruger.com pdf linked in this thread. I don't see a "free spin pawl" nor a "reverse indexing pawl", which would solve the disagreement between Silent Sam and pvtschultz.

flatgate

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Thanks Flatgate- I don't think we disagree. We were just talking about two different things. Sorry if I caused any confusion for anyone.

REP1954

Blackhawk
The non anniversary New Model Blackhawks that come with an aluminum grip frame have the new locking system however the frame size is the same as the XR3-RED frame of the past. The plastic grips that come on the new style frame are much slimmer than the wood grips of the past. Ruger does offer wood grips to replace the plastic grips on thier website. I like the more slender grip as I have to modify the standard wood grips by thinning them down anyway.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I'm a little slow without coffee. I was reading lock, he said lockwork. While similar, they are indeed different things...

Funny though flatgate, Ruger hasn't updated that exploded view to show the lock on the hammer strut which they show (with a New Vaquero hammer) on page 7 and 12 of the pdf document. Me thinks this is a halfhazzard situation at best, but I just shoot them...and try to keep track of all the different grip frames for my customers...

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
The Rugers I've handled with locks have an action that is nothing short of buttery smooth. Smoother than any of the non-lock Rugers I've shot. I don't like the idea of the lock, but I'm a fan of smoothness.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Jayhawkhuntclub":8ls4hikz said:
The Rugers I've handled with locks have an action that is nothing short of buttery smooth. Smoother than any of the non-lock Rugers I've shot. I don't like the idea of the lock, but I'm a fan of smoothness.

True!... that's how my Montado was... smoooooth!

REP1954

Blackhawk
I agree on them being smoother but boy they sure slowed down the lock time. I'd like to have both smooth and fast.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
If you want a stainless Blackhawk in 45 Long Colt WITHOUT the lock you better hurry to Buds. They are running low. Remember in the new catalog the only Blackhawk without a lock will be the stainless 357.

Super Blackhawks will continue for the short term without the lock but that is subject to change.

Latest posts