Ruger new model blackhawk questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

derekjm14

Bearcat
So, I'm thinking about purchasing a ruger new model blackhawk .357. It is used and I would be purchasing it from a private party. I'm going to look at it and possibly but it tomorrow, but I'm concerned about the cylinder drag on it. I'll try to post a pic, but it appears to be a deep solid line all the way around the cylinder. How concerned should I be?

Wheelgun

Bearcat
Probably just a sharp burr on the cylinder stop. See if you can actually feel a cut where the drag line is. If it were me, I'd pop the cylinder out and feel the stop with my fingernail to see if I could feel a burr. It's not too hard to remove the burr, but be careful not to remove any material from the stop itself.

Mark

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Derek,

Welcome to the forum.

That's normal and not a concern. It just indicates it's been shot.

Most cyl stop latches (or bolts) come rough from the factory. You can polish it to mitigate the 'drag line' from getting worse. Or do nothing, it's only cosmetic and will never jeopardize the guns function or safety.

derekjm14

Bearcat
Thanks everybody! I went ahead and bought it! I can't wait to get out and shoot it!

schloss

Single-Sixer
That picture makes the drag mark appear very rough. It's normal to have a drag line, but it should be generally smooth.

If it's fairly smooth on there, and not as bad as the picture shows, I wouldn't worry about it. But if its as jagged as it looks, it would be worth polishing the latch some, to prevent excessive wear.

Apart from that maybe, they're totally normal.

derekjm14

Bearcat
The picture makes it appear much worse than it really it. You can not even feel it. It is a convertible with a 6.5 inch barrel. I picked it up for $325.

schloss

Single-Sixer
That is a very, very good price. I was happy with my last one, and I paid $425, and it was not a convertible.

If that turn ring looks ok, it's nothing to worry about. (as the usual goes...) Just was a little concerned because it looked real rough.

So, I think the real questions everyone here wants answered are:

How does it shoot?

And where are the pictures?