Ruger New Model Blackhawk .357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AJHodges

Bearcat
Greetings! First post, I'm sorry if this is a redundant topic. I was just passed down my father's old Blackhawk .357 magnum and broke it down to clean it. There are some parts that need to be replaced due to poor maintenance, but the big one is the hammer assembly, which is quite rusted and pitted. The original is a blued hammer, however I'm having trouble finding replacement's for this specific model. Anyone have any clue where I can purchase a blued hammer? Or even a stainless steel one, all I can find are Super blackhawk hammers on all the normal parts sites (Midway, brownelles, etc.). Anyone know if these are interchangeable hammers?? I have a feeling they're not... Any points in the right direction would help!! Thanks!

ditto1958

Blackhawk
First off, welcome to the forum. Second, rust and all, does the BH function properly? If so, perhaps just gently removing the rust is all you really need to do.

Some pics would be very helpful.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
A lot depends upon the age of your Blackhawk. Some of the parts are no longer available from normal places. Example; If your gun was made prior to 1973,,, it'd be an Old Model, meaning it has a different set of action parts. It's easy to figure out,,, just look at the sides & see if the frame has 3 screws or just 2 pins. If it has the 3 screws,,, it's an OM. A 2 pin model is a New Model, and will say "New Model" on the frame.
OM parts are no longer available.
Now,,, a Super Blackhawk hammer will fit in there & work. Many actually add one to their guns due to the profile & wider spur.
Blued hammers are no longer available at all,, except from a source of used parts.

But,,, as noted,,, maybe a good cleaning is all that's needed. Unless the gun has serious rust pits as to prevent functioning, it may still be serviceable. And do NOT throw away any of the old parts if you do replace them,,, until you know for certain they are broken beyond repair. Even older broken hammers & triggers have been restored by good gunsmiths.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You might consider sending it back to Ruger for a re-furbishing. They are know to do an outstanding job at reasonable prices. Give them a call and see what they say. If you decide to send it back have an FFL send the gun flat rate via the USPS. It will save you a lot of money.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
If you've got a new model blackhawk You should be able to find a new model stainless hammer here from a forum member cheap. Many people use a super blackhawk hammer and have the regular hammer left over after they swap them out. Yes the Super blackhawk hammer will fit your gun also. The newer blackhawks just started using stainless hammers for both blued and regular models and dropped the blue ones.

AJHodges

Bearcat
I've been trying to figure out how to add photos for about an hour...it seems impossible. However, I appreciate everyone's input!! I'll probably grab a super blackhawk hammer and install it soon. Thanks!!!