Ruger New Model Blackhawk .30

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cschurman

Bearcat
I recently purchased a .30 Carbine NM Blackhawk. Trying to determine what the value of this gun is. From the research I have done, it is roughly from 1974 or 1975. I would appreciate any insight to the value of the gun. It is in pretty good shape, no large scratches or anything. some wear marks on the cylinder that look to be from typical usage. a couple very small blemishes on the wood grips and that is about it. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Ruger.jpg
    Ruger.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 98

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

First off, it's a New Model, if from 1974-1975. (Give us the serial number & we can verify it. Or at least give us part of it, such as; 50-123xx.)
Next,, it's missing the rear sight assy,, so those parts would cost about $30-$40 for a set for a NM.
The scope base, is worth roughly what the factory sights would cost,, so that's a wash in value.
The scope,, depending upon the brand,, can be $50-$200 or more.

The base gun,, to give you a real world value,, here's an example. An OLD MODEL, with a prefix serial number in minty shape is about $650.00. (That's according to the Red Eagle News Exchange collectors price guide.) A NM like that in that condition MIGHT actually bring $550-$575 to a person looking for one. That model is still in the Ruger catalog, and it'd depend upon how a gun shop would price one.

Good info above, and also note that appears to be a "clamp" on, no drill & tap base, so maybe no "extra" hole (s) drilled and tapped in the top strap to 'devalue' the gun, and it would have come in the early, 'first" issue of the New model boxes, the one piece, fold -up, red with white lettering....nice gun:cool:;)

cschurman

Bearcat
Welcome to the Forum!

First off, it's a New Model, if from 1974-1975. (Give us the serial number & we can verify it. Or at least give us part of it, such as; 50-123xx.)
Next,, it's missing the rear sight assy,, so those parts would cost about $30-$40 for a set for a NM.
The scope base, is worth roughly what the factory sights would cost,, so that's a wash in value.
The scope,, depending upon the brand,, can be $50-$200 or more.

The base gun,, to give you a real world value,, here's an example. An OLD MODEL, with a prefix serial number in minty shape is about $650.00. (That's according to the Red Eagle News Exchange collectors price guide.) A NM like that in that condition MIGHT actually bring $550-$575 to a person looking for one. That model is still in the Ruger catalog, and it'd depend upon how a gun shop would price one.
The serial is 51-04xxx. I don't believe the scope is anything special, I think it is a Lasco brand? 2x20. I can't decide if I prefer the scope on it, or want to take it back to the original sights.

So the $700-$800 value is high for this gun? I paid $450 for it, so I at least feel good that I didn't over pay for it. Definitely looking forward to getting out and shooting this. From what I have read, these guns are really well balanced and fun to shoot.

If I wanted to get the rear sight assy for this, do I need to get it through Ruger, or do you have a recommended place to get it?

Good info above, and also note that appears to be a "clamp" on, no drill & tap base, so maybe no "extra" hole (s) drilled and tapped in the top strap to 'devalue' the gun, and it would have come in the early, 'first" issue of the New model boxes, the one piece, fold -up, red with white lettering....nice gun:cool:;)
That is correct, the scope mount is a no drill version. Clamp goes around the barrel and screws to the front of the base. The back of the base is screwed in at the rear sight screw.

With from what I have read, the first year for the "New Model" I believe was 1973, correct?

This is really the first gun that I have purchased that I would consider to be a sort of collectors item, and it wasn't even intentional. My parents came across a garage sale and the family was selling the late fathers collection. They sent me some photos and I thought the gun looked awesome and had them pick it up for me.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I just sold a similar one for $685 + shipping. It was a fairly minty pre-warning gun with 51-07xxx SN that should date to 1976 but it was not Liberty marked. It had the sights and no scope, and had the original box which was only in fair condition, plus a warranty card but no manual. It had less of a turn line than the one above but it did have a few dings on the cylinder next to one of the flutes. Pics are still up on GB, item 947985148.

cschurman

Bearcat
I appreciate the info! Thank you! I can now tell my wife that it was a good buy and she can stop being upset!:ROFLMAO:

Your New Model has the "added value' (consderable to me) of shooting .32-20 WCFs with no modification. Only reasonably-priced US-made .32 WCF currently available. (An you can even shoot .30 Carbine in it if you want to. I don't.).