Ruger New Bearcat 4.20" barrel ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Moki

Bearcat
Tell me about Ruger's 22LR New Bearcat 4.20" barrel revolver in stainless steel definately looking to buy one to teach my young son how to shoot handguns.

Can it shoot short/long/LR?

Accuracy?

Feel?

Quality?

Would you recommend it?

Are there black/gray laminate grips available for it?

Thanks
Moki

Moki":1a4amfw7 said:
Tell me about Ruger's 22LR New Bearcat 4.20" barrel revolver in stainless steel definately looking to buy one to teach my young son how to shoot handguns.

Can it shoot short/long/LR?

Accuracy?

Feel?

Quality?

Would you recommend it?

Are there black/gray laminate grips available for it?

Thanks
Moki

Yes, it can shoot S, L, or LR.

The accuracy is probably better than most folks are capable of utilizing, however the sights may or may not be lined up with the point of impact, and or lined up with how the individual shooter uses iron sights. Being fixed, you're stuck with the sights, the way they are.

It feels like a little tiny revolver, which is great for folks that want a tiny revolver.

Quality of modern Ruger products is a pig in a poke. While the majority of folks are pleased, there are still folks who have had some legitimate quality issues with their Ruger's. My Ruger's have very largely, been pretty close to perfect, across the board.

I would never recommend this revolver as a one-and-only revolver. It is a novelty gun, for folks that also have "real" guns. A Single Six, with adjustable sights is a better choice.

The grips are only available after-market, from gripmakers that are very skilled. There's much more geometry to these grips, than your regular Blackhawk or Single Six.

Now, let me tell you about how I feel, outside your questions.

These are really neat little guns, that perform well as a kit-gun. They are definitely small, which to some folks, is a good thing. If the sights are not regulated to a shooters needs, they can be regulated, by turning the barrel, or filing the sights, which are jobs for a gunsmith or the manufacturer, or a shooter can apply a little Kentucky elevation, or windage, and hold the bead high or low, or left or right, depending on where the point of impact should go. These are really fun little revolvers.

What I don't understand...Is why Ruger saw fit to increase the barrel length from 4" TO 4.2", to satisfy the Canadian market. I cannot imagine there is much demand, for Bearcats, in Canada.

WAYNO.

contender

Ruger Guru
+1 to most of what Wayno said.
You are beginning to teach a young man shooting,, and I bet the gun fits his hand better than most other guns.
As for the increase of barrel length,, etc,, Ruger does a fair amount of exporting,, and the Bearcat was one of the few models that "failed" to be approved by Canada due to the barrel length. I guess that Ruger figured it was easy to change that little detail,, so why not?