Ruger needs a custom shop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
BB Rvlr said:
OK... If not a custom shop then how about consistent quality on their production guns. Things like checkering with no over runs, or single action grips that fit the frame fully, clean up the area behind the pistol grip of wood stocked rifles so that it isn't rough, and better but pad to stock fit.

These are all shortcomings that I've seen in my recent Ruger purchases.

In standard, high production manufacturing this happens, Taking the extra time as needed means more to the end cost, more waste (which equates to added costs to cover that waste) and slower production times (less product shipping) If you want such finely cut checkering and perfect hand fitting, there's plenty of aftermarket avenues to go with. Sure it costs extra but the same would do so if it were from Ruger too.
Then again...if it's just cosmetics you desire so much, go the "factory" route and have your Ruger come through Baron Engraving. Oh wait...look at their web address: http://www.rugercustomshop.com/ Wow!

:lol:

The Ruger Custom Engraving Services Gallery features a variety of exclusive firearms ranging from limited edition models with modest levels of engraving to lavishly embellished works of art. Customers may select from highly figured custom wood, finely detailed engraving, 24 karat gold inlay, and exquisite relief. Most of the firearms presented in the Gallery are available for purchase.

picketpin

Buckeye
My problem is you have to buy the rifle from them and pay MSRP. So you have to do a NEW rifle and if anything I'd have one of my older rifles engraved.

I'm having two built right now for.......ultimately my son and grandson.
I did in fact talk to Ruger and they wouldn't do the mods I wanted to the wood and they sure didn't want anything to do with custom engraved #2s (I am using #3 actions and #1 wood and factory #1 barrels wildcatted to 257 Ackley Improved)

Sort of like Leupolds custom shop offerings. Buy your new Leupold through them. You can't send your existing already paid for Leupold in and have the work done. Needs to be purchased through them and built from scratch with the custom mods)

T talked to Ruger a few times over the years and the answer was always, there are plenty of guys working after market that do the work you'd like. "Please refer your request to one of them".

RWT

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
BlkHawk73 said:
BB Rvlr said:
OK... If not a custom shop then how about consistent quality on their production guns. Things like checkering with no over runs, or single action grips that fit the frame fully, clean up the area behind the pistol grip of wood stocked rifles so that it isn't rough, and better but pad to stock fit.

These are all shortcomings that I've seen in my recent Ruger purchases.

In standard, high production manufacturing this happens, Taking the extra time as needed means more to the end cost, more waste (which equates to added costs to cover that waste) and slower production times (less product shipping) If you want such finely cut checkering and perfect hand fitting, there's plenty of aftermarket avenues to go with. Sure it costs extra but the same would do so if it were from Ruger too.

I respectfully disagree BlkHawk73. Go to any well stocked gun shop and compare the fit and finish on a new production Winchester or Remington with Ruger's. Obviously there are features and cambering option that I can only get with Ruger so I put up with these cosmetic flaws but an extra few minutes at the factory would make me a much more satisfied customer.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I think that in the last several years Ruger has been trying to match inventory with production while producing guns in batches. I think we are lucky if they have enough spare parts and whole guns to repair and replace the problem guns that come back to them. Efficiency and cost of production is the name of the game for them now and a 'Custom Shop' goes against what they are trying to do. They don't want to keep tons of guns and parts in stock as that is waisted money just sitting there taking up space. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

BlkHawk73

Hunter
BB Rvlr said:
I respectfully disagree BlkHawk73. Go to any well stocked gun shop and compare the fit and finish on a new production Winchester or Remington with Ruger's. Obviously there are features and cambering option that I can only get with Ruger so I put up with these cosmetic flaws but an extra few minutes at the factory would make me a much more satisfied customer.

Haven't checked out Marlins lately have ya? They were bad enough, production on most of them has stopped.

My problem is you have to buy the rifle from them and pay MSRP. So you have to do a NEW rifle and if anything I'd have one of my older rifles engraved

If having such a gun as you want so badly is really that important, the real MSRP cost, a couple hundred more than street price shouldn't be such a big deal. After all, you'd have just what you wanted.
This is just it. Everyone wants A, B, C but yet they're not willing to spend anything additional for it. They want absolute custom shop perfect, precise attention to every detail yet don't want to pay for it. If something really means oh so much to have and have it just as you desire, pay for it! Not willing to do that...guess it's not that important after all.

There's stuff not available from Ruger I want, that they won't provide. Guess what, there's other's than can and will provide that service for me. That's their job, their specialty, so I go to them. Costs a bit additional but in the end I have just what I want. Not 100% factory but as they're be shooters, who cares.
Some projects I've had done were inexpensive $100 jobs. Another pending one will cost me more than the gun initially cost me - over $800 when all said and done above the guns's cost. Why bother? 'Cause it's what I want and to me it's worth that money.
Another aspect I KNOW people would whine and complain about would be the turn around time. Somebody would send in their gun and then grip and complain if they didn't have it back within a week or so. Along with the costs, if it's that important to have, it's worth the time. Now considering Bowen and the like can be backlogged for over a year, consider how backlogged Ruger would become? :lol:
Coupling the cheapness of people (not wanting to pay for the additional services or it's "too costly" to do but I want it...) with their impatience (I need it, I want it, I should have it when I want it) it would be a disaster.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
I am going to start another thread on a "custom ordered" Ruger No.1, rather than Ruger having a Custom Shop. Seems like the TX Pit Dog was the only one who wanted this; all other posts were just telling him it would not, could not be done! I am not convinced yet that this is a Dead subject.

Con

Bearcat
A Custom shop would get around the problem of dealer exclusives rarely if ever being exported because international distributors wont buy someone elses 'special run' from say Lipsey's. End result is that Ruger No1 afficiandos in other countries get frustrated at a) not being able to source the limited runs unless its privately imported; and b) having production tied up by a distributor making regular production items near impossible to source anyway. People here have virtually died of old age waiting for a specific catalogued Ruger No1 rifle to arrive.

Is there a market? Sure there is ... its not like CZ USA's 'semi-customs' in 500Jeffery, 505Gibbs, 404Jeffery, 450Rigby haven't sold. In Australia they are a $4k-$5k rifle ... try getting a custom gun to similar specs built cheaper.

But yes ... Ruger would need to lift their QC if they offered a custom option. Far better to offer a yearly 'Classic' or a 'Flagship' model such as say a 6mm/06 in the 1V with 26" barrel, a 500NE in the Tropical and so on.
Cheers...
Con