Ruger Model 77 with tang Safety verses the Model 77 Mark II

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fyimo

Bearcat
I bought my Rugers back in the early 90's and so they are the early ones with tang safety. I have a 300 Win Magnum and a 270 Win and they both shoot down around an inch at 100 yards and sometimes depending on the reload and me they shoot under an inch. I had a 25-06 with tang safety that easily shot under an inch and a buddy talked me into selling it to him. All of my Rugers were made in the early 90's and I've heard that's when Ruger started making their own barrels.

I'm thinking of getting another in 25-06 and was wondering about whether to get an early one made in the 90's or a Model 77 Mark II. I know the Mark II has controlled feed but I've heard they also have none adjustable triggers that are really bad.

My question is which one to buy based on experience from the shooters up here.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I've got 4 77's with the tang safety. I don't like the 'winchester' type safety and thus started buying other makes when the tang was discontinued. So, in my mind its a tanger all the way.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
Yupppers, I much prefer the tang safety because it's what I'm most used to for the last 40 years.

Forutnately, for guys like us, there's still a supply of old M77s in excellent condition if you just stay patient and shop around.