Ruger Mod 1754 Match Champion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JStacy

Blackhawk
I took gun to the range yesterday and it shot 6" low at 25 yards with my favorite plinking loads. The only loads it shot close to POA @ 25 yards was Federals 158 357 mag load, which kicked the snot out my old arthritic hands with the factory wooden grip. I called Novak this morning and ordered one of their LMA sight series that will replace the non-adjustable sight with an adjustable model. Novak was quick to send out new sight and USPS says I will have it Tuesday and I will resight in for my 38 spl+P loads I like to plink with. If you have a Mod 1754 this is a viable option to get your gun sighted in.

gunzo

Buckeye
Well, maybe not for us old guys, but if Fed 158 mag loads hit the mark then the factory sights did what they should do. .

I have the gun in question as well & thanks for the heads up on a sight replacement.

It' a shame though, that Ruger didn't equip these guns with the interchangeable front like on other GP's. That could have simplified & enhanced the entire format.

In other words; "way to go Ruger", you offered a wonderful/durable trail gun , but took away an option that would have it doing al the things it could do with little added cost.

Why, OH WHY!

contender

Ruger Guru
My MC's all have the factory adjustable sights. I always prefer to get adjustables whenever I can. (Vaquero's & early Single-Sixes & Bearcats excluded! :D )

JStacy

Blackhawk
my 10 MC has adjustable sights but my 357 is a Mod 1754 with a sight that can be moved horizontally but no elevation changes. I just could not find a Mod 1755 at a reasonable price.
Gunzo if you are interested send Titus, at Novak, an e-mail and ask about the replacement sight I called this morning at 9AM NC time and they got the sight going USPS this AM and is supposed to be here on Tuesday. I will change it out and go to the range on Friday. To sight it in as well as a 4" GP100 I picked up reasonable. I am also going to put a Ruger rubber finger groove grip on the 357MC and probably the 10 to go a little easier on my right hand. I love the wood grips, very pretty wood, but a little hard under recoil. I am not a wimp just getting on up there and joints are more fragile than 50 years ago!

gunzo

Buckeye
Thanks, but I bought my fixed sight GP on purpose. Knowing the platform was very robust, I wanted sights to match. The rear being drift adjustable for windage is a plus without giving up strength.

Just disappointed that Ruger didn't maintain their quickly interchangeable front sight that I feel is strong as well. Full adjustability could be achieved without giving up strength provided the owner has a few extra blades.

Probably a thread drift, if so, I apologize. Just ramblings on the f/s Match Champion.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I got the Novak LMA38001 replacement sight in today and removed the factory nonadjustable Novak to install the replacement adjustable sight. The factory sight with set screw backed off and soaked in penetrating oil was very tenacious to take off. Small hammer and flat nosed punch got it out. BTW mine would only come off the frame left to right. It would move a small distance right to left then no amount of reasonable force would move it. I used the Brownells sight correction formula and adjusted the new sight to correct for where the nonadjustable sight was shooting. I am going to the range on Friday, it should be interesting to see how close I came with the calculations and measurements to get a six-o clock hold at 25 yards.

wproct

Single-Sixer
Looking forward to your range report. I only own one handgun with fixed sights, and that is my 2 inch bbl Smith & Wesson model 64-2. In that particular revolver I prefer the simplicity and durability of fixed sights. I'll take that back. I do own a Stoeger Luger copy in .22lr with fixed sights, but it was inherited from my brother and I do not often shoot it.

JCK

Single-Sixer
I shot NRA PPC for 30+yrs.

Never saw a match champion shooting a revolver without adjustable sights!
I was humored when I saw the name "Match Champion" on a gun with fixed sights. At least Novak has the answer to Ruger's oversight.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I modified the front sight light pipe to make the front sight more of a post front sight. I took a single edged razor blade and carefully cut off to enlarged portion of the light fiber. The full sized "dot" was .120" and covered most of the upper portion of the front sight. It made it hard to see the top edge of the blade and did not help my normal six o clock hold technique. The fiber insert was then loose, so I pulled it out 1/2" forward and added a small drop of super glue to the insert and pushed it back into place. The green dot on the back of the front sight is now .085 instead of .120 it had been previously. The body of the front sight is now more visible and better suited to more precision shooting than with the green orb up front. This accomplished the same thing as buying a post front sight with a smaller light pipe in it and still have the green dot for quick sight acquisition.

Last edited: