Ruger MKII Nut

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TC981994

Bearcat
Ok. I've realized I'm in love with the Ruger MKII pistol(everbody has to have a "thing"). I also realize I don't know enough about them. Is there a definitive resource of every variation of the MKII that was made?

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

Well, the MKII is considered by many as the best of all the MK series guns. As for a resource of information,, you'd need a bit of a library,,, as there's not a single, best overall, book or whatever on them.
But to help,, here's a list of some things.
Factory catalogs during all the years of it's production. They list most of the offerings,, EXCEPT "distributor exclusives" or special runs.
Many back issues of the "Red Eagle News Exchange." The RENE,, and especially it's invaluable "Reference Guide" identifies most of the variations. Member Chad Hiddleson,, (who goes by chet15 here,) is the publisher. Joining the RENE & you can get a copy of the Reference Guide. Contact him.
And another excellent source of information on the MK guns,, is a book by Chad. It's an "Encyclopedia" on the .22 semi-auto pistols from 1949 to 1995, (I THINK it stops in 1995. I may well be wrong.)
A few members here collect them,, so you can ask questions & often get excellent answers.

This is a bit of a "starting point" in your search.

TC981994

Bearcat
Thank you so much. The MKIIs are awesome. My heavy tapered barrel has perfect balance and practically aims itself. The trigger has been modified to minimize pre-travel and has 3.5 pounds pull. I love that firearm.

Yep, these two books will get you started. These are my all time favorite pistols. Everyone should a dozen or two. ;)

14BB7521-2497-42C3-A543-1A2C21068205.jpeg

05FF8108-E972-49F4-92C0-3A0F162D1E44.jpeg

eveled

Hawkeye
I'd like to see a thread with a picture of each MKII with its model and catalog number. Think we could make a complete list?

TC981994

Bearcat
I took my heavy tapered barrel target model to the range Sunday. It's perfect for casual, off hand, target shooting. Best trigger of the three MKIIs I have. Let a couple of young guys shoot it. Their reactions were priceless. Literally, jaws dropped and said "Oh my God, that gun is so easy to shoot." Best range day I ever had. They probably only experienced striker fire type triggers.

eveled

Hawkeye
I took my heavy tapered barrel target model to the range Sunday. It's perfect for casual, off hand, target shooting. Best trigger of the three MKIIs I have. Let a couple of young guys shoot it. Their reactions were priceless. Literally, jaws dropped and said "Oh my God, that gun is so easy to shoot." Best range day I ever had. They probably only experienced striker fire type triggers.
Aren't mk pistols striker fired too? What am I missing?

Glad you had a great day at the range.

Aren't mk pistols striker fired too? What am I missing?

Glad you had a great day at the range.

The MK pistols have a hammer. The hammer is released when the trigger is pulled and hits the firing pin to fire.

In a "striker fired" pistol, the firing pin/striker incorporates a compressed spring that is released when the trigger is pulled. There is no hammer.

TC981994

Bearcat
Thanks for explaining, @arcticruger. I'm not saying all hammer fired handguns are better than striker fired. But, I haven't experienced a striker fire as good as a decent hammer fire. A good trigger is in the opinion of the user.

I own a Sig P322, which is hammer fired, and a Taurus TX22, which is strker fired, and the triggers are about the same. I can't reccomend the P322. I'm amazed at Sig's waisted opportunity to make a decent firearm. If they offered spare parts I might be able to make a decent gun.

I'm not a fan of the striker fired plastic guns myself. Everyone I have bought so far was sold off soon afterwards. Besides the original Ruger auto pistols, I prefer the 1911 style autos the most and usually have one close at hand whether it's my little Sig P983 or the full sized Colt .45. On the other hand, one of my kids is a big Glock fan. ;)

TC981994

Bearcat
I'm not a fan of the striker fired plastic guns myself. Everyone I have bought so far was sold off soon afterwards. Besides the original Ruger auto pistols, I prefer the 1911 style autos the most and usually have one close at hand whether it's my little Sig P983 or the full sized Colt .45. On the other hand, one of my kids is a big Glock fan. ;)
I prefer real firearms, also. I bought three plastic 22s trying to find one that was reliable, comfortable, fairly accurate, and most of all, easy to clean. The triggers range from weird to just bad. The TX22 comes the closest to fitting my requirements. It is "ok" once you get past the trigger issue. Of course it is advertised as having an awesome trigger.

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
I've shot 1911s most of my life. A lot in competition. Tried every plastic striker fired pistol out there. I took an M&P 9mm in trade on a job. It points just like a 1911. First time my son shot it was the first time he had fired any striker fired pistol. He was making head shots on USPSA target at about 20 yds. I told him he was hitting high. He said he was aiming at the head. Enough said. But I do have Apex Competition triggers in all of them. And all of them are the CORE model as I like the large sights.

TC981994

Bearcat
I've shot 1911s most of my life. A lot in competition. Tried every plastic striker fired pistol out there. I took an M&P 9mm in trade on a job. It points just like a 1911. First time my son shot it was the first time he had fired any striker fired pistol. He was making head shots on USPSA target at about 20 yds. I told him he was hitting high. He said he was aiming at the head. Enough said. But I do have Apex Competition triggers in all of them. And all of them are the CORE model as I like the large sights.
I never meant to say all striker fired or polymer guns are bad. I carry a P365. It's light, small, reliable, and 10 rounds in such a small package ain't bad. I know myself. I don't even like change in my pockets. A P365 with me is better than a 1911 at home.

With that being said, I'm glad I bought the P365 after they solved the broken striker problem. Sig has created a track record of letting customers find the problems with new releases.