Ruger MK II pistol - standard vs. tapered target barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunsrfun1

Bearcat
Greetings - I have a Ruger MK II pistol with the standard 6-inch barrel, fixed sights. The Ruger specs say it weighs 37 oz.
I'm looking at a Mk II "Target" with the 6 7/8-inch tapered barrel and adjustable sights. The specs say it weighs 42 oz.
I'm wondering where that 5-oz. difference comes from. Specifically, is the target tapered barrel configured any differently (thickness, taper, etc.) than the standard tapered barrel, other than its length.
If not, I am not seeing a real reason to buy it, since my standard model shoots fine.
Thanks

yes, the MK II with the "target" barrel 6 7/8 inch is beefier, thicker, bigger in diameter, as well as 7/8 inch longer, so ,more weight as well as the gun has adjustable sights, ever so slightly heavier for these, tough to measure their difference for the blade and the actual rear sight........ the standard auto 6 inch has more of a pencil barrel, thin and stream lined, and if you have the sight picture down pat, they are great shooters...the slight extra weight can help to reduce the muzzle jump of the rounds going off, so second shoot recovery can be faster, quicker for some folks, ,,,,others with a strong grip, , can maintain this slight muzzle jump.....
the choice is yours,both great guns........ 8) :wink:

REP1954

Blackhawk
gunsrfun1 if you don't want to add the extra weight but you want the convinence of adjustable sights you can just swap out your existing sights. I have a MKII 4 3/4" Standard type barrel with a Volquartsen TL target rear sight and their tall front sight made to bring the front up higher to make up the difference between the fixed rear sight and the newer adjustable one. All Ruger MK series pistols have the same rear dovetail. You can get a Ruger rear adjustable MK series rear sight and modify or make a front sight. The Volquartsen rear sight is a true target sight and gives a great sight picture that's hard to argue with. User name "D A Wood" here on the forum is a gunsmith that specializes in Ruger MK series guns and might have other options for you. http://saronagunworks.com/ That is if you would want to go that way.

if you do not want the "NEEDED" higher, very tall front sight blade that is required for adjustable rear sights you can use a 'LPA" (low profile adjustable) rear to fit in the same dovetail , and uses the front blade already in the gun....those TALL, extended front sights remind me of a 'can opener' and yes, hell on holsters and cutting your hand while cleaning, handling the gun.
Most we ever put on customers guns,, they wanted them OFF, soon after......... 8) :roll: :wink:

the LPA sights were available at Brownells and Midway....................

REP1954

Blackhawk
I tried the LPA rear sight and it is a very well made sight but I thought for the price and having the rounded dome of bolt stop glaring in my sight picture just not enough improvement over the standard drift sight. Ruger does sell a belt slide holster that works great with the taller sight as well as all the holster diggers that Ruger has made through the years.