Ruger Mk II magazine release spring problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Marsagent

Bearcat
Hi everyone. I'm hoping you guys can help me out with a weird magazine release problem I'm having on my Mk II. I bought it used about 2 weeks ago. Finally got a chance to take it to the range. I fired the first ten rounds through it flawlessly but when I went to remove the magazine it was stuck. I finally got it out after about 5 minutes of messing with it. When I went to reload it I noticed that the magazine wouldn't stay in. The magazine release wouldn't engage fully. I removed the magazine release and saw the spring had gotten in front of the magazine release. I put it back in the proper position but when I function the release a couple of times the spring slips back in front of the magazine release. I've ordered a replacement spring and a replacement magazine release. I'm waiting on both. So the question is why do you think the spring keeps sliding out of position?

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Welcome to the forum: Being that you just received this pistol a few weeks ago, it's hard to guess what the previous owner may have done to/with it. I've enclosed a cut-a-way view of how the spring needs to be positioned. The spring, now in the grip frame, may be distorted from the previous owners efforts. But even still, it's hard to figure how it can get out of position once installed correctly.

If, and when, I do replace the factory magazine latch/releases I'll go with the Ranch Products version. It's just a better design and a better way to go.