Ruger MK II Government sight question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bczrx

Single-Sixer
I just DROSed a MK II Government Target and will be picking it up in 10 days.

It was drilled/tapped, and has a scope rail on it currently, but no iron sights.

I am leaning toward putting iron sights on it, as I am more familiar with them for a handgun.

I read the Ruger MK II owners manual to get part numbers, but ran into something that left me uncertain.

It seems that all Ruger MK II adjustable rear sights were the same [except the 10" barrel had a different sight blade: why? Narrower/wider gap?]. So I am not [too] worried about that.

What confused me was that the front sight has two different options, with no explanation given in the parts list.

[Yes, I know to exclude the blade-type pinned-in sights used on tapered barrel models.]

The manual lists one front sight [A03602] for MK II Bull Barrel guns, and another front sight [A03604] for MK II Competition guns.

Yet, there is NO reference to the MK II Government gun.

I remember reading on one forum, of the description of the MK II Government, as having 'higher profile adjustable sights' than the MK II Target guns. Yet I don't know what that means.

My instinct is that the MK II Competition front sight is the one to get, as the Competition was a slab-sided government, IIRC.

Can anyone clarify this issue?

Thanks!