Ruger MK I stainless steel ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
From the pic you provided, might just be the lighting, but the bottom inside of the bolt on the lower pic doesn't look stainless to me.
Chet15

as 'Chet' says, and I replied earlier, easy and often doen to put the stainless lower on the gun, have sen that before, it is the upper receiver that casts the 'doubt' as said, in some "Out of the way spot , under or inside the receiver tube, try the cold blue.......the barrel can well be an aftermarket Douglas airgage stainless barrel ( we have usd tose over the yearsI but it is the receiver that is in question...any and all the other parts can be gotten in stainless, and be "put together"......as well as a 'Signature model' getting "customized" to the "max" and be turned into a 'non Signature model' of that era.....need to get any and all documentation from the original owner and the factory.....still though a very NICE gun, and I like it , wish they had made some for production runs............

wndrbob

Bearcat
Here it is back together with front sight and yes I know wrong grips...LOL
DSC_1274.jpg

DSC_1275.jpg

Pinecone

Blackhawk
wndrbob, All in all, "interesting" and a nice looking gun whatever! I actually started out on this forum with an "anomaly" NM Blackhawk with an "old style" trigger spring assembly and Super Blackhawk grip belonging to my brother-in-law who claimed to have bought it new like that. It is now in my possession permanently and I will be taking it apart and taking pics to post in the next 2 weeks or so. I have come to believe it was "customized" at some point and it did letter from Ruger as a regular Convertible Blackhawk......................Dick :wink:

wndrbob

Bearcat
Its funny The more I learn about Ruger the more strange firearms stories turn up. I have a MKIII Stainless with the fluted barrel that I love it currently has a Gemtec upper on it and works fantastic with either upper.
You just never know with a Ruger it makes life interesting.
Bob

I have a question for donnie F , he may remember a few years back, there were 'stainless' Ruger parts that were available on line, it was e-bay, and I had gotten some parts from a guy in Canada, who'se company made them for Ruger, and these were "extras"....I looked all over and cannot find anything on these, and there were barrels ( they were ALL tapered though) and there were stainless steel grip frames as well and I had bought a few of each from him, back then...it seems l;ike it was around 2002- 2003, when I first got on the interent( I retired in feb 2002) and my son Nick signed me up for MSN & E-bay and I ain't gotten over it yet.........but NOT any receivers, he told me those were the Ruger company ONLY.......so "something: is in this after all....I know other companies , in Canada made parts for Colt as well over the years, for their Cowboy single action line......CRS :shock:

( NO one takes NOTES like Chet 15.........ask Jeff M.... :roll:

wndrbob

Bearcat
I never thought this would bring out so many Questions and possible answers but it is great the help you guys give. I am going to take the pistol to my farm in SC after Christmas and blast off a box or 2 and make sure its functioning properly ( lots of squirrels need to go) then I will decide if it goes to a new home. having the MKIII with the Gemtec has spoiled me when it comes to noise but I know its going to be fun. Merry Christmas to all
Bob

wndrbob

Bearcat
Hey all
I took the MKI to the farm and put 100 rnds through it only had 1 jam using old Remington ammo the MKIII jammed 4 or 5 times I think I am going to replace the extractor on the 3. I will Prob list the MKI on G/B this week with 3 other Ruger rifles I have if so I will post it under auction links. Once again Thanks for all the input and help you gave on this pistol.
Bob

d_beckett

Bearcat
did they make a target
.22 L.rifle bill barrel TARGET PISTOL catalog no.T-512 5 1/2 Bbl

Attachments

• 2AC4B618-AD53-4C82-8B60-16AC517C016B.jpeg
    2AC4B618-AD53-4C82-8B60-16AC517C016B.jpeg
    811.3 KB · Views: 65

JStacy

Blackhawk
Ruger made 9 nickel plated standards. Two went to a south American official. Two eventually went to Alexander Sturm's wife and the others were mounted on a board, like the face of a clock and displayed at an NRA annual show many years ago. I did gun shows in a large city in south Texas and saw several plated Ruger Mark I's and some standards all claiming to be rare guns from Ruger and wanting a lot of $$$$$ for them. They were all in the wrong serial number range and were simply an aftermarket refinish job. I do not remember the serial number range but the guns from the display board are in Ruger's gun vault and have not been sold, as far as I know!

d-beckett, take a picture of the other side, show the serial number ( you can blip out the last couple of digits, but the gun you picture above, is wrong to the box and label otherwise ,UNLESS the gun was refinished ,plated, custom coated such as Metalife or Armaloy....any stainless Ruger would have the letter "K" in the catalog number ,on the end label of the box...you picture a blued version box ,label , manual, of the MKI -T512...........
I"d start a NEW thread as this one is quite few years old already, go back , read the books , check the facts...........we still see and hear of stainless steel S&W model 19's. I rest my case.......:cool::rolleyes:;)

Happy Easter 2022 Christ has risen........

d_beckett

Bearcat
d-beckett, take a picture of the other side, show the serial number ( you can blip out the last couple of digits, but the gun you picture above, is wrong to the box and label otherwise ,UNLESS the gun was refinished ,plated, custom coated such as Metalife or Armaloy....any stainless Ruger would have the letter "K" in the catalog number ,on the end label of the box...you picture a blued version box ,label , manual, of the MKI -T512...........
I"d start a NEW thread as this one is quite few years old already, go back , read the books , check the facts...........we still see and hear of stainless steel S&W model 19's. I rest my case.......:cool::rolleyes:;)

Happy Easter 2022 Christ has risen........

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    902.9 KB · Views: 70
Well it looks like a #16 prefix puts it in 1980 era and NOT one of the stainless steel later after #17 ( Ala Signature Models 1 of 5000) but does appear to me 'Metalife SS' (chromium) finish....still looks GOOD

Latest posts