Ruger Mini-14 Identification Needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oscar

Bearcat
A friend passed away a few months ago and I purchased a couple of guns from his estate yesterday. One is a series 184 Mini. It has a flash hider and a sight and bayonet lug about 6 inches from the muzzle. It is a Ranch Rifle or a GB?

Based on the serial number, it appears to have been made in 86.

gunzo

Hunter
If the receiver is machined for Ruger rings it's likely a Ranch with some aftermarket add-ons. It doesn't make it so, but I'm unaware of a GB Ranch in that time frame.

If not machined it's not a ranch, but without further identification of the muzzle device & bayonet lug, it could or could not be a GB.

NikA

Buckeye
Time frame is right for a GB if the parts are factory and not aftermarket. GB would look very similar to the AC556, but it's not a "semi-auto" AC556 (as that video points out, there are manufacturing differences). Remember, in the eyes of the ATF: "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" and no "readily convertible" guns allowed.

oscar

Bearcat
Thanks for the help. The top ear of the receiver is marked: Ruger Mini-14, Cal 223. The left side at the rear is marked with the warning, Sturm Ruger Co and the address. I don't see any other markings. There is a plastic cover on the top up to where the stock ends.