Ruger Mini 14 223 made in 2001 stock question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fyimo

Bearcat
I have this rifle in the discussion title and I want to change out the wood stock for an AR style tactical stock. I would like people who have done this for their stock make & model and whether they like it or not and if they had any problems in installing it. Also how much do they like it after doing the switch.

Thanks

Art

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Ruger sells these on their website, made by ATI, same ones used on the Mini-14 Tactical model $109.99

Shop Ruger: http://shopruger.com/Mini-14-Package/productinfo/18099/

VTXS

Bearcat
There is a large selection of synthetic and some aircraft aluminum grade stocks available out there for the mini 14. ATI, Butler Creek, Choate, Troy, Scar(Both aircraft grade aluminum and synthetic). I personally love the aluminum SCAR stock, but the price is pretty close to the cost of the rifle, pre-crazy days that is, so that leaves it a dream only stock for me.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I bought the Ruger tactical model with the ATI stock, and I like it a lot. I also have a Hogue overmolded conventional style stock, and I tend to swap them out every once in a while, for no particular reason. Swapping the stock on the Mini-14 is extremely easy. The most time consuming part on the ATI stock is tightening the 3 screws that hold the handguard on. I can swap between the two stocks in less than 5 mins with a phillips screwdriver. Make sure the gun is unloaded, remove the mag, engage the safety, pop the stock handguard off, insert the end of the screwdriver through the hole in the trigger guard and use it as a lever to pop the trigger guard loose, remove the trigger group, then remove the barrel and receiver assembly from the stock. Reverse the steps to install in the new stock.

The part I like about the ATI stock is that all the picatinny rail sections are removable, and they include snap-in covers to hide the holes when you remove it. The top rail has a groove down the middle so that you can still use the stock iron sights, but I took it off anyway as it still partially obstructed the view. If you remove the bottom rail section, make sure you remove the metal forearm liner so that you can remove the nuts, otherwise you will have a constant rattle. Be careful with the screws that hold the forearm liner in, they strip very easily. There are a bunch of sling mount studs on the ATI stock, and most can be removed or moved to different positions based on how you want to carry it. The folding stock seems very sturdy, and locks into position solidly. The collapsing stock is nice for letting smaller shooters get the right fit when shooting or just making it easier to maneuver or store, and the adjustable cheekrest on the stock is a nice feature. The only very minor complaint I have about the ATI stock is that the pistol grip makes it a little more difficult to get a screwdriver through the hole in the trigger guard for disassembly.