Help Support Ruger Forum:

leadhead2

Bearcat
Any one else having trouble with there trigger on the new max 9?"
Mine has the worst trigger of any handgun I've ever had. There's
so much creep in it that I can't hit the target from 15 feet. I saw
where there's a different trigger you can buy, but I don't know if
that would solve the problem or not. It feels like there's lot of
drag in the sear before it breaks. Any ideas?
Denny

Mike J

Hunter
I have no experience with the Max 9. I am not sure which trigger you are talking about buying. I did a quick search. The only thing I saw was a trigger sold by Galloway Precision that is supposed to eliminate pre-travel. If it were me I would dry fire while trying to keep the sights perfectly on target all the way through the pull & the break for a week. It doesn't have to be a lot 5 minutes a night would probably be more than enough. If I got tired I would stop for right then. That would let me learn the trigger & might smooth the trigger parts out a bit. Then I would go back to the range & try again. If I worked with it for a while & couldn't get it to do what I wanted I would sell or trade it off for something else.

I used to have an old Kel-Tec P-11. It had probably the worst double action only trigger I have ever encountered. Not only was the pull long & heavy it was catchy too. Kind of like dragging a 9 pound bag of rocks down a gravel road. Once I learned the trigger it was an accurate shooter. I decided I wanted something different & wound up gifting it to a friend.

leadhead2

Bearcat
Thanks mike j.... I have been dry firing it, but it is terrible. It feels like the one you talked about.
The LC9s I had had a great trigger and was very accurate. Sorry I sold it. I don't know if I should
contact Ruger to see what they say or not. That trigger I talked about was the short stroke you
talked about. I don't think it would do any good for the problem I'm having.
Denny

Mike J

Hunter
If it eliminated the pre-travel (creep) it might help with that part of it. Not sure if it would help with the break though. I guess it just depends on whether you want to invest more money in it or not.

jjas

Single-Sixer
If you have access to another pistol @ another gun shop, perhaps you could ask them about dry firing it and see if it's the same as your pistol.

Or, call Ruger and see what they say. I'd rather send it back than start putting money into something that may have issues from the factory.

leadhead2

Bearcat
That might be the thing to do, but the max 9 is pretty new and not many gun shops
have them in stock. I'll keep on shooting it for awhile and see what happens.
Calling Ruger will be the last resort.

leadhead2

Bearcat
Yes, somewhat.... Trying to figure out how to remove the striker from the slide.
It's somewhat better but still not right.

Virginia Boy

Bearcat
I'm carrying mine in a DeSantis V5, pocket holster, that I bought for a LC9s. If you wear relaxed fit jeans, the pockets are large enough. I haven't handled the other so called micro 9s, but I think that the Max 9 is about as close to perfect, in all respects, as you can get. I put the Crimson Trace 1550 on it, but didn't like it. It may be alright for target shooting, but I had trouble finding the dot. So, I took off , in a defensive situation I wouldn't want to be searching for my sight.

leadhead2

Bearcat
Well, I called Ruger this afternoon and here is the reply... This is normal for this
firearm. When you get to the place where the trigger stops, then just pull hard
instead of squeezing thru the shoot. Have you ever heard of such a thing. In other
words just aim and jerk the trigger. Wonderful news. I'm so sorry I sold my LC9s.
I know it's not a target gun, but damn. No joy from Ruger. So much for there
great service. I should have bought the hellcat.
Denny

Mike J

Hunter
As nuts as things have been lately I suspect you could sell it. Recoup your money & buy what you want.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Tell Ruger the trigger is broke and get a mailing label to send it back. They will check it and probably just replace it even if they can't find anything wrong with it. There are sometime differences in triggers so it doesn't hurt to try.

I just got my Max-9. Thought it would fit my EC9s Simply Rugged Cuda, but to tight of a fit. However, my Simply Rugged Cuda for my Security 9 fits it very well. I carried it the last two days and it is very comfortable. I can hold it upside down and it stays put.

Highly recommend Simply Rugged.

Finally got my hands on a Max-9. Took it to the range along with my two Security 9's, My EC9s, and my LCPII. I love the sights on the Max. I actually shot it better than everything else. My Security 9's were close though.
The Max-9 actually fits in my Simply Rugged Cuda that was made for my Security 9. Been carrying it past few days and fits great and very easy to conceal. It will be my EDC for now on.
Be selling my EC9s soon.