Ruger Max 9 discharge.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I honestly don't think the triggers were involved. If you make the interface precarious enough it could release on its own. I haven't drop tested mine but I did have a recoil double while doing drills with it.(recoil pushed the gun back into the web of my 2XL welding glove hand enough to reset the trigger and fired going forward into the trigger finger) A true bumpfire I've never been a fan of strikers because the crappy triggers were relatively safe like the DAO semi micro guns. The new striker guns have lighter, smoother triggers which IMO came at the cost or sear interface with the striker. I have used set triggers where when set the sear only has a few thousandth's of an inch of engagement allowing a trigger pull of a few ounces. It's in no way safe to carry in this condition. The single action pull on my tuned Dan Wesson is the same. A few unintended discharges in non expert hands safely downrange led me to not let non experts to handle it. I call it an air trigger because if you breathe on it the wrong way it might go off. It's great for running unlimited class in IHMSA and other competitions but I would never walk around with it cocked in any holster.
I sure wouldn't carry one cocked in the holster either.

I really like the trigger on the Max 9. It's a very consistent pull through the length of pull until it fires.

And then it isn't a heavy trigger or anything at that. Just very nice.

Do you have the model with the external safety? I don't, and am curious how you would perform a drop test?

Mike J

Hunter

I really like the trigger on the Max 9. It's a very consistent pull through the length of pull until it fires.

Do you have the model with the external safety? I don't, and am curious how you would perform a drop test?

There are some videos on youtube I believe where the Sig P320 was drop tested after there were many reports of them going off (Sig has done a voluntary upgrade, they didn't call it a recall, since then). If I recall correctly I believe they used a primed case without a projectile & chambered it in the pistol. Then you can drop it or hit the back of it with a rubber hammer, etc. If the striker or firing pin pierces the primer-you know.

Thanks! I was imagining just dropping a loaded gun. Trying to figure out how to not get shot in the process. I suppose a primers case only with a rubber mallet would be safer. 😀

You load a primer into a case and submit the gun to being dropped and thrown onto various surfaces. If the firing pin/striker releases firing the primer the gun fails. I have the Pro as well. Wishing I would have went with the Talo edition and saved $150 and got the safety.

Last edited:

Firsttimegrampa

Single-Sixer
I did a search maybe I'm not typing the correct phrase.
My brother purchased a brand new Max 9.
Last night while in an OWB holster. It discharged in a public restaurant.

He wasn't touching it it any way. Just walking.
Inspected the holster. Nothing inside the holster could have pulled the trigger.

Law enforcement took the Max 9 and sending it to our state agency to see if it was modified which is hasn't been.
One officer said the state may keep the max 9 and revoke his carry permit.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this before with Max 9's.
Pretty scary situation. Never seen anything like this in my life. Closest thing I ever seen was a Springfield xds fire after chambering. Which later was a recall.
Thanks in advance.
Did he let Ruger know what happened so they can get a heads up and check it out

jyo

Single-Sixer
I would be VERY reluctant to carry a gun that goes off in it's holster with the safety on!

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
Did anyone notice that this wasn't an issue when striker guns had mushy crappy triggers??? My Max 9 has a 3ish pound trigger that can recoil double in my hand.
Just had a chance to test the trigger weight on my new Max 9 (range got delayed due to business issues this week) and its consistently at 6.5-6.75lbs. Did you actually test your trigger pull or were you estimating? Seems odd that my BNIB no mods is more than twice yours in trigger pull weight.

pyth0n

Buckeye
Just an observation but I would be interested to know, if & when ever the OP hears from Ruger, how it could fire with out the trigger being pulled to by pass the inertia stop. Does the MAX 9 have the inertia stop?
P.S.
It does have a striker blocker same function as an firing pin inertia blocker.

Last edited:
Just had a chance to test the trigger weight on my new Max 9 (range got delayed due to business issues this week) and its consistently at 6.5-6.75lbs. Did you actually test your trigger pull or were you estimating? Seems odd that my BNIB no mods is more than twice yours in trigger pull weight.
I was guessing. It seems like an average single action pull which it pretty much is.