Ruger Max 9 discharge.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Firearms forums are full of threads that just sort of 'peter out'. Somebody gets a new gun, and is all excited about their upcoming trip to the range, so they promise a range report - but never get around to posting again. Somebody else has a gun with a problem, so they ask for advice on a fix, and promise to let everyone know if it worked - but never get around to posting again. I'm guessing you're even less likely to get "the rest of the story" when it's a second hand report, that requires two or more people for an update.

Bottom line, who knows why the Max9 malfunctioned - the owner might have accidentally dropped it 40 feet off his roof the day before, and been too embarassed to mention it or have it inspected by a professional gunsmith. Or maybe it was an unreported 'DIY trigger job' that didn't work out as planned. Folks are saying that nobody else seems to be reporting problems; if I owned a Max9 and had concerns, I would probably call the company (they have great customer service)!

dweis

Blackhawk
Because I am considering buying one I follow Max 9 issues on the three Ruger forums. I have read about a number of issues with some of the guns, but nothing about any accidental discharge of a holstered Max 9. Problem is that the state might not ever report whether the gun had a mechanical defect. It seems like there must be a defect. The OP says the pistol was holstered in a kydex holster with the safety on. There is no way that fires unless there is a defect. Guess I'll stick with my Security 9 Compact until more can be learned. OP ask your brother to report it to Ruger and ask them to try to get to look the gun over. I think Ruger has an interest in the outcome.

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
My dad carried his Belgium made BHP 40 plus years, and most of his friends did as well. I started to carry after my dad passed away, and its been almost 10 years since. I have never heard of any gun that fires on its own. Never. I have carried mostly Rugers, but also a Bersa, a Taurus and a S&W bodyguard. None of these has ever fired on their own. I can't say that the OP malfunction didn't happen, but I have conflicting thoughts about it. Just my opinion though. I respect all opinions.

hittman

Staff member
We'll likely never find out what happened.
This member joined to post his questions in late April and hasn't posted since May 8.

Firearmer

Bearcat
Hello all. I purchased a Max 9 in July 2022. It was referred to me by the store I bought it from as a first time buyer and I never heard about the micro compact. Finally, around the second week of August I got to go to the range after a month of dry fire at home. The Max 9 performed flawlessly with no jams or slide malfunctions with about a100 rounds of FMJ ammo. Very happy with the recommended purchase and can't wait to go back out to the range with it this weekend. Just sharing my experience so far.

Last edited:
It's starting to sound like this is an issue with these new striker guns. I just got my Max9 a few weeks ago. Nothing like that but I did have a recoil double the other day. Kinda like a bumpfire. Tiny gun bouncing in my XXXL hands. Accuracy is incredible though.

Walnut864

Bearcat
Still no answers. Firearm was sent to Ruger.
My brother's job involves a lot of traveling and last I spoke with him about it. He said, "I'm not concerned about it and didn't want the firearm back. They can keep it."
Must be nice to piss money away.
Regardless, I don't have any definite answers.

The reason for my post was to see if there had been other incidents like this. Not to "bash Ruger."

Ruger has been my favorite firearm manufacturer since the beginning. Still owning my first pistol I bought almost 20 years ago. A Ruger P89DC.

Wished I had more info to fill you in but, if he isn't concerned about it then I'll never have any answers.

Walnut864

Bearcat
I know this has been an issue with several Sig striker guns. I've never really trusted strikers anyway. I still think real guns have hammers.
I haven't ever had this issue and I worked many years in the pawn business. Which gave me access to great prices on firearms.
Even in my 20s when polymer frame was becoming the thing. It took me years to trust them.
I'd still carry my P89DC if it didn't weigh so much.

Sorry for the long delay on the reply.
Until I got the email a post was made, I had forgotten all about it.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
I know this has been an issue with several Sig striker guns. I've never really trusted strikers anyway. I still think real guns have hammers.

And what I find most interesting about all these ADs is that they only happen in holsters. Never in a safe or on a headboard or a coffee table or anywhere else.

Am I the only one that finds that curious? If a gun is going to go off by itself, it'll do it anywhere, not just in a holster. It's pretty obvious to me what's happening, but the owners of the guns don't want to admit responsibility .

Mike J

Hunter
The sear/striker interface is the only thing keeping the striker back. A bump or jolt could cause it to release.
That was I believe the issue with the Sig P 320. I know they are supposed to be okay now but I still wouldn't buy one. I would like to have one of their older designed DA/SA hammer fired pistols. I carry striker fired pistols & have never had a problem.

The truth is though we have no way of knowing if whatever happened was a firearms malfunction or an error made by the person carrying it. These have been out for a while. I follow a couple of forums pretty closely & this is the only incident of this kind I have seen reported regarding this pistol.

And what I find most interesting about all these ADs is that they only happen in holsters. Never in a safe or on a headboard or a coffee table or anywhere else.

Am I the only one that finds that curious? If a gun is going to go off by itself, it'll do it anywhere, not just in a holster. It's pretty obvious to me what's happening, but the owners of the guns don't want to admit responsibility .
Well, according to the OP, his brother has also had trouble with another concealed carry pistol. The post about the story of having some guy "boxed in trying to steal a truck." The pistol had some sort of magazine issue.

So, I don't know what happened, but the person this thread is about has had several issues with several different guns. It might be the person, not the gun.

I'm just skeptical as well as some of the other people posting here also.

Did anyone notice that this wasn't an issue when striker guns had mushy crappy triggers??? My Max 9 has a 3ish pound trigger that can recoil double in my hand.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
I suppose it could happen if something, clothing or the holster itself, intruded into the trigger guard and body movements pulled the trigger.

I suppose it could happen if something, clothing or the holster itself, intruded into the trigger guard and body movements pulled the trigger.
I honestly don't think the triggers were involved. If you make the interface precarious enough it could release on its own. I haven't drop tested mine but I did have a recoil double while doing drills with it.(recoil pushed the gun back into the web of my 2XL welding glove hand enough to reset the trigger and fired going forward into the trigger finger) A true bumpfire I've never been a fan of strikers because the crappy triggers were relatively safe like the DAO semi micro guns. The new striker guns have lighter, smoother triggers which IMO came at the cost or sear interface with the striker. I have used set triggers where when set the sear only has a few thousandth's of an inch of engagement allowing a trigger pull of a few ounces. It's in no way safe to carry in this condition. The single action pull on my tuned Dan Wesson is the same. A few unintended discharges in non expert hands safely downrange led me to not let non experts to handle it. I call it an air trigger because if you breathe on it the wrong way it might go off. It's great for running unlimited class in IHMSA and other competitions but I would never walk around with it cocked in any holster.

Last edited: