Ruger Max 9 discharge.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

the_leper_colony

Single-Sixer
Firearms forums are full of threads that just sort of 'peter out'. Somebody gets a new gun, and is all excited about their upcoming trip to the range, so they promise a range report - but never get around to posting again. Somebody else has a gun with a problem, so they ask for advice on a fix, and promise to let everyone know if it worked - but never get around to posting again. I'm guessing you're even less likely to get "the rest of the story" when it's a second hand report, that requires two or more people for an update.

Bottom line, who knows why the Max9 malfunctioned - the owner might have accidentally dropped it 40 feet off his roof the day before, and been too embarassed to mention it or have it inspected by a professional gunsmith. Or maybe it was an unreported 'DIY trigger job' that didn't work out as planned. Folks are saying that nobody else seems to be reporting problems; if I owned a Max9 and had concerns, I would probably call the company (they have great customer service)!

dweis

Single-Sixer
Because I am considering buying one I follow Max 9 issues on the three Ruger forums. I have read about a number of issues with some of the guns, but nothing about any accidental discharge of a holstered Max 9. Problem is that the state might not ever report whether the gun had a mechanical defect. It seems like there must be a defect. The OP says the pistol was holstered in a kydex holster with the safety on. There is no way that fires unless there is a defect. Guess I’ll stick with my Security 9 Compact until more can be learned. OP ask your brother to report it to Ruger and ask them to try to get to look the gun over. I think Ruger has an interest in the outcome.

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
My dad carried his Belgium made BHP 40 plus years, and most of his friends did as well. I started to carry after my dad passed away, and its been almost 10 years since. I have never heard of any gun that fires on its own. Never. I have carried mostly Rugers, but also a Bersa, a Taurus and a S&W bodyguard. None of these has ever fired on their own. I can't say that the OP malfunction didn't happen, but I have conflicting thoughts about it. Just my opinion though. I respect all opinions.

hittman

Staff member
We’ll likely never find out what happened.
This member joined to post his questions in late April and hasn’t posted since May 8.

Firearmer

Bearcat
Hello all. I purchased a Max 9 in July 2022. It was referred to me by the store I bought it from as a first time buyer and I never heard about the micro compact. Finally, around the second week of August I got to go to the range after a month of dry fire at home. The Max 9 performed flawlessly with no jams or slide malfunctions with about a100 rounds of FMJ ammo. Very happy with the recommended purchase and can’t wait to go back out to the range with it this weekend. Just sharing my experience so far.

Last edited: