Ruger Mark IV Hunter information

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gentleman Jim

Bearcat
I just bought a Mark IV hunter and it's a great gun but I would like a shorter barrel. There is a Mark III with a 4 " barrel, Does any one know will it fit the Mark IV, where can I get one. I called Ruger they told me I couldn't buy one. Does any one have a suggestions. I'm new to Rugers but not firearms. Thanks, Jim

RICHP

Single-Sixer
Volquartson. I am watching you tube videos of the mk 4 now. 22 plinkster did one on a custom pistol. The barrel was 4 or 4.5. I am probably going to buy one soon.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Gentleman Jim said:
I just bought a Mark IV hunter and it's a great gun but I would like a shorter barrel. There is a Mark III with a 4 " barrel, Does any one know will it fit the Mark IV, where can I get one. I called Ruger they told me I couldn't buy one. Does any one have a suggestions. I'm new to Rugers but not firearms. Thanks, Jim

No, the fit to the receiver is an entirely different set-up. As was mentioned above, try Volquartsen for a shorter replacement upper, but you will need to go through an FFL.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Ruger can't/won't sell you one because all the Mk-series guns have the barrel/receiver as the serialized part and it is the "firearm" by ATF definition and can only go through an FFL. Ruger won't do that. And, no you cannot fit the top end of any earlier Mk-series to a MkIV.

The least expensive and easiest way to solve your problem is to sell the Mk IV Hunter and buy what you really want.

As noted Volquartsen does sell replacement top ends in both 4.5" and 6" barrel lengths for the MkIV but these also have to be purchased through an FFL and cost about as much as a complete new pistol. Here is their listing if you are interested:

https://volquartsen.com/products/1252-llv-4-competition-pistol-upper

Gentleman Jim

Bearcat
Thank you all for the information. I believe my best route would be to just sell the Mark IV and buy what I want. I really like the accuracy and reliability but I prefer the shorter barrel, it improves the balance for me. In the 1911 I prefer the Commander, my Beretta's I prefer the compacts, guess I should have thought of that before I bought this .
Thanks again for all your thoughts... Jim