Ruger Mark IV Bolt Stop & Magazine Disconnect

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I recently picked up a Mark IV Hunter and last week a Mark IV Tactical. In watching YouTube video's I've noticed that several of the videos are using the newer style Bolt Stop as a bolt release. They are complaining at first how stiff they are. A lot of these guy's are well versed in guns. Long time evaluators and I really like all the videos they have ever done.

In the past the Mark series bolt stop has been just that a bolt stop and you are suppose to sling shot the bolt closed. Not use the bolt stop. If the bolt stop was used that could wear and eventually stop working to hold the bolt open on last shot.

I look in the owners manual and it is still calling it a Bolt Stop and not a stop/release. So has Ruger changed their mind on this and or have the changed it so it will not wear the stop out using it as a release.

On the second point I have replaced my magazine disconnect with the TK "Blast Shield" Magazine Disconnect Replacement for Ruger MKIV/MKI/22/45. I have to say I really like the Blast Shield that TK makes. But when I bought the 22/45 Tactical I noticed the magazine disconnect looks exactly like the TK blast shield. So has anyone taken the Ruger Disconnect out and modified it so it would work like the TK Blast Shield ?

Seems like it would be easily done. Another just wondering question.

recumbent

Buckeye
On the bolt release I always slingshot it, I never use the bolt release. Just pull the bolt back and let it go.
I have always been under the impression that if you use the bolt release enough it will wear and then the bolt will not lock back.

JohnFLand

Bearcat
Some shooters prefer to use the bolt stop as a bolt release because they can get back on target quickly without having to slingshot the bolt. The bolt stop/release will wear overtime, but it is not an expensive part, it can be treated as an expendable part.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
JohnFLand said:
Some shooters prefer to use the bolt stop as a bolt release because they can get back on target quickly without having to slingshot the bolt. The bolt stop/release will wear overtime, but it is not an expensive part, it can be treated as an expendable part.

Damage will occur on the rear face of the bolt stop assembly no matter if you use the bolt stop thumb piece as a release, or if you "sling-shot" the bolt, but it's not from using either of these methods. What does cause some damage to the bolt stop is the returning bolt hitting the rear face of the bolt stop assembly when the magazine thumb button pushes the bolt stop assembly up after the last round is fired. The bolt face hits the bolt stops rear face quite violently.

I purposely only used the "sling-shot" method on a new Ruger Mark III and then a new Ruger Mark IV, and never used the bolt stop thumb piece to release the bolt. If that method is really thought about, how can damage really happen if the thumb piece just slides downward to allow the bolt to proceed forward?

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
SGW just wanted to say thanks. I ordered a part for my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 from you. The only place I found it. I believe it was your online store anyway. Glad you carry it.

Thanks

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
You're very welcome, and it's good to read that it worked out well for you. I test all the product provided here, so, if it doesn't work, it will NEVER be available for folks like yourself.