Ruger Mark IV Bolt Issue?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
I recently had a Ruger Mark IV Competition Target come from a customer whose pistol bolt has a firing pin stop pin that fits extremely loosely in the bolt. When the bolt is out of the receiver and the firing pin is out of the bolt, the bolt stop pin falls out very easily and quickly. The firing pin stop pin diameter measures what it should but the hole for it in the bolt seems "over-size".
When the firing pin is still in the bolt and the firing pin strut and spring are in place, the tension from that spring will hold the firing pin stop pin in place. When the strut and spring are not in the bolt, the pin fits very loosely. If any here own Ruger Mark IV pistols, check the fit of your bolts firing pin stop pin. Would like to read from you.
Something to watch for, as I've recently had orders for quite a few lost firing pin stop pins.

Dennis

valvestem

Bearcat
Didn't they years ago warn people in the owners manual to be sure the FPSP did not drop out while being reassembled?

valvestem said:
Didn't they years ago warn people in the owners manual to be sure the FPSP did not drop out while being reassembled?

I recall that.

Dropped mine in the SD dirt twenty years ago, while installing some VQ parts on my tailgate. :shock:

Found the pin, cleaned/reinstalled, and have since improved my work habits... :mrgreen: