Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Model 40107

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dontcatchmany

Bearcat
As if I need another gun?

I ordered a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 model 40107 from GrabaGun a couple of weeks ago. Has the bull barrel and polymer grips.

Picked it up from a local ffl Saturday. The GrabaGun site did not have the normal FFLs I use locally but even better they had one that was just 5-6 miles away as opposed to approximately 20ish.

Paid 285.00 + 7.99 shipping and 25.00 FFL fee and got to meet a delightful fella who just likes to do the FFLs and is not a gun dealer.

Out of the box and minor cleaning and relube with Liquid Wrench RV Dry Lube, this thing was dead on target from about 8 yards.

This thing is a pleasure to shoot. Wish I had gotten one sooner.

Put a Hi-Viz Green front sight on this am and that is so much better than the black sight. Also got a "speed" loader and that makes loading the magazines so much better.

Any problems I have had with shooting the gun are not the gun and a couple are almost comical:
1. I ordered two more magazines and when I got them they do not fit. They are for the Mark IV (not the 22/45)and the butt plate does not allow a proper fit.
2. So I did some research and found some butt plates that were supposed to work. Prior to ordering I had the not so bright idea to take the butt plate off of one of my original mags and try it on the "new" mags. PITA to get the spring in (I have arthritis and neuropathy in my hands. Again, not a bright idea. I finally had to get something (for me three small art paint brush handles) to keep the spring straight while inserting. FINALLY, after much frustration I got the spring in and the proper butt plate on. LESSON LEARNED: If I ever need to disassemble again, throw the mags away and purchase new ones. Used a few curse words over the course of a couple of evenings. Ain't (southern emphasis for will not ever) order the butt plates...I will order new mags.
3. Got 4 more mags that may get delivered today.
4. Shot the gun again today and as usual shot CCI minimags (1235 velocity). Also tried 10 rounds of CCI 1070 FPS. 710 FPS does not work, not enough to cycle and feed the next round....had to try it though.
5. Out of approximately 400 rounds (not the 710), I have had one round with a problem and it was a cci minimag that appeared to have a slight swelling and whiteish coating at the casing and the bullet. Would not feed into the chamber. I have seen this before on a brick of cci Minimags that has been in my safe for a couple of years.
6. I went to a local gun store this am and purchased two magazines that were for the Mark III. Looked identical (side by side) to my working mags but will not fit into the gun. Puzzled by that but they will go back to the dealer tomorrow for a refund which the owner said when I got them.

This gun is a winner and its price was so very much better than any local or online gun dealers. A joy to shoot.

Hopefully the new mags work and I will punish the gun and burn some ammo. Great and cheaper way to practice for my other 1911 type guns.

Again, the magazines are a BIG pita TO REASSEMBLE..... :lol:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Apparently there is a rather simple base plate modification that will let 22/45 MkIII mags fit a 22/45 Mk IV. A google search should find a description.

As you found out, the Mk III/MkIV mags do not fit any 22/45 of any series.