Ruger Mark III Hunter goes full auto.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Thanks AZShooter1 for your interesting post and the photo of your cracked sear. This story is pretty instructive in that some failures actually can produce dangerous results. Secondly, the cause of the problem was found easily by observing the condition of the parts. Good going - have a close look before assuming anything.

I find it interesting that whenever someone experiences a malfunction, whatever the description, someone is there suggesting that a "good cleaning" will bring everything back to life. I can't for the life of me imagine a full auto condition being created by any amount of dirt and residue inside the gun. But anything is possible, right?

Finally, there is the urban myth about the evils of injection molding. Machined metal parts never break, and injection molded parts break all the time! That is just silly. Occasionally there might be a void in a casting that causes the part to be weak. Once in a while you see an internal flaw in a machined part, causing the part to be weak (as in AZShooter's case). Injection molded parts do not ruin the reliability of a firearm. The relative hardness of the injection parts can be specified according to their function in the gun, just like their machined counterparts. My personal observations, anyway.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Carry_Up said:
Thanks AZShooter1 for your interesting post and the photo of your cracked sear. This story is pretty instructive in that some failures actually can produce dangerous results. Secondly, the cause of the problem was found easily by observing the condition of the parts. Good going - have a close look before assuming anything.

I find it interesting that whenever someone experiences a malfunction, whatever the description, someone is there suggesting that a "good cleaning" will bring everything back to life. I can't for the life of me imagine a full auto condition being created by any amount of dirt and residue inside the gun. But anything is possible, right?

Finally, there is the urban myth about the evils of injection molding. Machined metal parts never break, and injection molded parts break all the time! That is just silly. Occasionally there might be a void in a casting that causes the part to be weak. Once in a while you see an internal flaw in a machined part, causing the part to be weak (as in AZShooter's case). Injection molded parts do not ruin the reliability of a firearm. The relative hardness of the injection parts can be specified according to their function in the gun, just like their machined counterparts. My personal observations, anyway.

Well, maybe NOT all the time, but they do break much more often than machined parts do. I have seen two Colt Trooper III hammers have the hammer spur break off and those are definitely "sintered" metal.

Kanook

Buckeye
Carry_Up said:
I find it interesting that whenever someone experiences a malfunction, whatever the description, someone is there suggesting that a "good cleaning" will bring everything back to life. I can't for the life of me imagine a full auto condition being created by any amount of dirt and residue inside the gun.
I've seen a couple where the floating firing pin didn't float because of being dirty and caused the SKS to run like a champ.

Sometimes the suggestion of a good cleaning will turn up a broken part.