Ruger Mark II Government Target Model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
I saw a stainless steel Mark II Government Target Model with a 6-7/8" bull barrel, serial number 219-524xx at a local gun shop that I think was made in 1993. Is there anything "special" about this model?

It has a few small superficial scratches on the barrel. Minimal grip wear. Asking price is $369, and the least he will take for it is $350. I am curious to know if that price is reasonable. A few government models (blued steel) on GB are listed at $500+.

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
Get Wood said:
Where Did You Say This Was ?????
So, are you saying that you would buy it at that price???

As for where it is, I didn't say. But, I will say that it is a long way from where you live. :D.

Based on previous comments, I am going back to the gun shop today to take a closer look at it. I'd say there is a high probability that I will end up buying it.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
BarkeyVA said:
I saw a stainless steel Mark II Government Target Model with a 6-7/8" bull barrel, serial number 219-524xx at a local gun shop that I think was made in 1993. Is there anything "special" about this model?

It has a few small superficial scratches on the barrel. Minimal grip wear. Asking price is $369, and the least he will take for it is $350. I am curious to know if that price is reasonable. A few government models (blued steel) on GB are listed at $500+.

Anything "special"? The civilian versions of the Ruger Mark II Government Model have the same build specifications that were involved with the military contract, when that was fulfilled, except for the U.S. roll-mark. The barrel has a "roller-burnished" chamber that goes beyond reaming to make the chamber as perfectly round as possible and will "work harden" the chamber walls, staving off wear. The sights are "laser targeted" on a contraption that one of the Ruger executives and the engineering department contrived.

The one I have is the blued version, but if a stainless steel model were to come along, the kids inheritance will be a bit shorter than was previously planned. With a stainless steel Mark II Government, it's much easier to buff away scratches and scuff marks, and for $350.00, I would've grabbed that sucker in a heart-beat!

UGM1RMUl.jpg

Nice gun, you did good...and as for any marks, like mentioned above simple and easy to buff,polish the stainless to look like new.....strips of fine emery paper, and 3Mscotchbrite pads..piece of cake :wink:

ml1209

Single-Sixer
I just a blued Mark II Govt Target on layaway at a pawn shop. Price was $249.

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
I am not an experienced collector but am trying to learn more about some of the less common variations of the Mark I and II Rugers. I suspect that most folks look at the blue book listed value and relative condition and price guns accordingly without even thinking about how rare or unusual it might be. It's great when someone is lucky enough to find one of those at a really good price. The blued Steel versions are probably a lot more common, and at $350 I'm pretty confident that if I ever want to sell my SS Mark II Government Target I should be able to get at least what I paid for it.