Ruger Mark I or Standard? What is it worth?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NCGumshoe

Bearcat
I am about to purchase a Ruger .22 semi-auto pistol from a friend, and I'm trying to find out how much to offer him. I checked the serial# through Ruger and they said it was manufactured in 1981. Ruger also told me that it is a Standard model because of the fixed sights. The pistol has a black emblem on the grip, and has never been fired. It is in a Ruger box, but I don't think it is for this gun. The manual that accompanies the gun is for a Ruger Mark II or Standard, 1/82 edition. The serial number starts with 16... I have pictures but don't know how to post them. All help appreciated.

welcome to the Forum..... well for starters, the #16 prefix guns were made in late 1979 till 1981..the box should be a red /white ,one piece, fold-up box...the black eagle grip medallion ,would be 'wrong' also, should be silver eagle, just on one side........the fixed sight guns, (RST-4 or the RST-6...) tapered barrels, are both about the same in value..around here, the guns will run in the $175-225 range, add another $20-30 for a nice original box and the proper manual ( the Mark II manuals were out in 1982, so that was an early one, but 'wrong' gun.......)after the Mark IIs came out, ALL of the Ruger 22 autos were the "same", Mark IIs, no matter what the sights....only the standard autos from 1949 ,until 1982 were just that, "standard autos", the Mark I 's were adjustables sights, target models.......new and unfired, that gun would be a nice one and last a lifetime with proper care...the 'bread & butter' of the Ruger company.

NCGumshoe

Bearcat
Thanks for the quick response. My mistake on the eagle...it is in fact silver and only on one side Is there a proper manual available through Ruger for the Standard Auto? I have agreed to purchase the pistol, even though the box is not for this gun. Is it possible to buy an empty red & black box somewhere? I am looking forward to adding this to my collection.

mjencisojr

Bearcat
I own a Mark 1 6 7/8" barrel target model in perfect condition. How much is this gun worth?

Bkat

Blackhawk
NCGumshoe said:
Thanks for the quick response. My mistake on the eagle...it is in fact silver and only on one side Is there a proper manual available through Ruger for the Standard Auto? I have agreed to purchase the pistol, even though the box is not for this gun. Is it possible to buy an empty red & black box somewhere? I am looking forward to adding this to my collection.

It won't be an original, but you can print a manual from the Ruger web site.

Bkat