Ruger M77RL Ultralight Tang 270 vs. Ruger Hawkeye SS 264 Win Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
My buddy wants my M77 250 Savage for his grandson to hunt with and has offered the 2 above rifles in trade. Which do you think is worth more in the long run, 270 Ultralight Blued Tang Safety or Hawkeye SS 264 WIn Mag? I reload so 264 is not a problem to make ammo for.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
If all the rifles are in comparable condition, neither the 270 or 264 are worth what the 250 is. And my opinion on the Hawkeye ss finish? He'd have to throw that rifle in along with the 270 for me to even think about a trade.

Then what happens when your buddy gets the 250 that you can't find ammo for? You giving yours to him? Reloading for him forever? It seems like a great deal for him but not you.

Now for my other take….
It's your buddy and his grandkid. If you don't care about the other things and it helps with teaching the grandkid to hunt and shoot pick whatever caliber you want. You might even get the kid interested enough to teach him some reloading. It's not always about money and I think you're on the short end here , but you're gonna have to get the balance of the payment in the enjoyment of helping a young lad get started right?

That's my $.04 (inflation) and not everyone has the want to throw up sensation when seeing a ss Hawkeye like I do so it might be worth more to someone else.

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
My rifle is in about 92% condition. Both of his are excellent condition. I believe the Hawkeye 264, which is a limited edition rifle, is worth as much or more than the 250 Savage. I can find 4 Ruger 250's for sale on gunbroker at any given time and not a one in a 264 Win Mag.
I like the matte stainless finish on the Hawkeye. I can't stand a shiny finish on a stainless rifle as it will spook game as I have seen happen many times. I'll camo tape it before I take a shiney SS rifle hunting.
The 264 Win Mag matches the performance of the 6.5 PRC. I'll be giving him 250 Savage ammo and he'll be giving me 264 Win Mag ammo. It'll be awhile before the grandson hunts with it since he is 3 years old now

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Glad you got something worked out that makes everyone happy. Shiny stainless doesn't spook game by the way. I've hunted for years with ss 77MkII's and have had a deers hot breath on me it was so close and another left a wet nose print on my rifle while I happened to be holding it. Old fables die hard I guess.

Answer to your question. You pick out what you think is worth more in the long run. After all it's all about what you want the most, not me. We are talking about big game here, movement is what will spook game over color of steel.

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
Depends on where you hunt. Deer have been so hard hunted around here for decades if not a couple of centuries that you don't dare leave the white end of a cut branch anywhere around where your stand is because deer will not come around unless it's at night and usually just avoid the area altogether. In contrast, it's ridiculously easy to hunt deer in Missouri, Ohio, and West Virginia compared to here. I've had 23 head of deer file past me standing next to a tree at 10yds.