Ruger M77 MK II accuracy and lug check

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MoovinTarget

Bearcat
I have a '93 M77 MK II 7mm Rem Mag All Weather Stainless Steel with a 3x9x36mm Redfield LowPro Widefield scope. It was the first high powered rifle that I had purchased on my own so we have a bit of bond. She has always been my 'Ole Reliable.

She always shot rather large, 2"-3" groups at 100yd. She was purchased to stalk deer and hogs in a highly wooded area that did have a few long fairways where the deer frequented in early morning. Most shots were 100-200 yards, so the grouping never screwed me. She dropped everything dead in its tracks. I pulled her out from the back of the safe recently. I decided to revisit the large shot groups while I had some time on my hands.

The action is smooth. The headspace passes a Go/No-Go check. I tuned the trigger to 2.75 lbs with no creep. Torquing those crappy little slotted screws in the stock helped somewhat. The plastic stock stinks and is probably a significant contributor to problem. I am considering bedding and stabilizing her, but not until I am comfortable with what I found when I checked the bolt lock-up.

I did a poor man's lug check. I colored the back side of the lugs with a sharpie, put an empty case in the chamber, and cycled the bolt several times. The exposed lug shows no contact. The ink is not smudged at all. The opposite lug which is covered by the extractor makes great contact, approximately 80-90%.

Any suggestions? I have spoken with a couple of gunsmiths, but none are interested in working on a Ruger. I have zero experience with lapping or truing actions and lugs. This rifle is my 'Old Reliable' and we have some history, so I would like to fix her up.

mxkop

Bearcat
I've got a MK-II LH in 7mm mag. I'm the second owner and quite frankly it was terrible when I got it. I couldn't manage anything better than 2.5-3" groups at 100yds with it using a myriad of Factory loads as well as a few of my proven Handloads. I stripped the bore. Took out plenty of copper, checked all fasteners, torqued the action screws properly and realized only marginal improvements. I then removed the barreled action and free floated the barrel. I carefully removed the contact area at the forward portion of the forearm, checked for clearance all the way back to the action, sealed the sanded wood and put her back together in proper sequence and torque specs.

Well.......the free floating took the rifle from minute of soda can to a 1/2 minute rifle that places cold bore shots dead center into 5 shot groups. It is as consistent a rifle now as any factory rifle I've ever had. It rivals some of the high $ customs I've owned. A keeper for sure.

MoovinTarget

Bearcat
Thanks for the feedback Bearcat. I contacted Nathan Foster at Ballistic Research for some advice regarding his stock stabilzer and bedding products, specifically to applying them to this rifle which has that angular front receiver bolt. I am also thinking about finding some hex socket screws or something better for torquing than slotted head bolts.

I am interested in some help with checking the lugs. Did you see the portion of the post regarding the lugs? Do you have any experience with bolts, lugs, and receivers? I did order some layout fluid to make my check a little more legit. I noticed that Midway and Brownells sell a Lug tool for applying pressure against the bolt in an unbarreled receiver. It seems to me that a fire formed case would be enough, but maybe I am missing something.

MoovinTarget

Bearcat
Below are pictures of the two lugs. First, Each lug was painted with Layout Fluid. Next, I inserted a spent cartridge case and executed several bolt lock/unlock cycles.

Hey, MoovinTarget-

Welcome to the RugerForum.

It looks like you might be trying to post your pictures directly from your hard drive(?).

On this forum, you have to host them on a site like Photobucket.

Here's a tutorial on posting photos to this forum:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51390

Ironically, it looks like there are some photos missing from the post(!), but you should get the gist of it.

Good luck!