Ruger M77 in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Good Evening, Gentlemen and Ladies,

I have long been in deep love with the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser caliber, ever since I bought my first one, an M96, dated, I think, around 1917. I bought it from a Woolworth's store, back when they used to sell firearms!! Got it for the princely sum of $79.00, out the door!

I bought some factory rounds, and loved shooting my old Swede. I could hit a 55 gallon oil drum at 600 yard on every shot, which amazed me. Then, I began reloading for my old M96, and found an entirely new world of options. I also bought another M96, and a short-barreled model which was very intriguing. It was made in Oberndorf Germany, in 1899, long after the Swedes had been making their own. This little rifle had a lovely "blond" stock that was different than my other two Swedish Mausers, as it was slimmed down, and svelt, and it also had an action that was a slick as oiled glass, a great trigger, and a different rear sight. As you can see, I was really smitten with this wonderfully capable round. At that time, I was shooting left-handed, as that eye has always been my dominant eye. I wanted to purchase a Ruger, or Winchester in this excellent caliber, back then, but wanted a left-handed version, which was not offered, that I could discern. Fast forward many years, and due to a medical problem, my left eye lost the ability to gather light, and was on it's way to being totally sightless!! After four operations on that eye, my sight was saved, BUT that eye can no longer see straight lines, and renders everything a bit wavy for me. So, I've now trained my right eye to take over as dominant. Worked just fine.

Now, I am once again thinking about seeking out a nice Ruger 6.5x55 rifle, right-handed, of course. I'm asking any of your who own such firearms to post your comments and experiences in shooting your 6.5x55. Because of it's superb sectional density, the 6.5x55 actually digs deeper than almost any other caliber, other than the heavy-bulleted .30 caliber loads, and it's been a fabulously accurate cartridge for me. Don't get me wrong, as I love the .30-06, .223, and .45-70 rounds, and the rifles that shoot them, too. But, I have a very special, and very tender spot in my heart for the old 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser cartridge, and look forward to hearing about your own experiences with it, in Ruger rifles!! Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Seven years ago I ran across a collector that was upgrading his collection of Ruger No. 1's and he had a stainless steel/walnut 1A, NIB. I wasn't planning on spending much that day, but after a trip home and a little research, I went back and bought it. I was kind of surprised it was still there. In fact, a friend of mine saw it while I was gone and almost bought it himself. I bought some Warne detachable rings and put a 2-7x Leupold on it. Winchester factory ammo was ok. I got some Prvi Partisan, but it didn't like that. This was my first experience with a No. 1, so I didn't expect anything exceptional. I started loading Sierra 140 gr. boat tails. 36 gr. of IMR 4064 with a CCI 200 primer gives me just over 1.25" groups @ 100 yards off a bench. I've read the No. 1s tend to have long chambers, and when seated just off the lands, my OAL was 0.023" longer than the one listed in my book.
In a moment of weakness I gave it to my son, although I know I can use it any time. The closest replacement I could come find then was a blue/walnut .270, so I got that. Then, a couple of years ago, Lipsey's came out with a blue/walnut .257 Roberts. I've wanted one of those for years, so I got that. You can see these things are addictive.
I noticed that Lipsey's had a blue/walnut 6.5x55mm No. 1 RSI listed. I can't say I wasn't tempted, but I've managed to resist.
A couple of advantages to the No. 1 are they are ambidextrous and I don't think even California will ban them...for a while. Plus, they're just beautiful.

Hi I have always wanted anything in 6.5x55 and I was down at my friends house the other day switching out a trigger in a 96 for him he is 89 years old and when I finished he says to me I want you to have it well I resisted but knew where he was coming from so I took it thinking it was in 7x57 which I am a big fan of well when I got home I tried a 7x57 round in it no go to my surprise it is in 6.5x55 :D :D I called him and told him he said he knew Man what a friend it will be scoped up and shooting as soon as I pick up brass and bullets Christmas came early :D :D

Gramps

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
I have an M77 in 6.5x55 and it is a great rifle. I too first fell for this round because of a Swedish Mauser.

My Ruger is one of the Mark II guns with the bolt mounted safety rather than the tang safety (although I prefer the tang safety) and I always have my eyes open for another gun in this caliber. My dream gun would be an International full-stock with the tang safety.

southpaw13

Bearcat
Are they still making the M77 in 6.5x55. I picked one up in 2012 that is still new in the box. Pics of it are in this thread, really nice wood.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=177076

johnyakima

Bearcat
My love affair with the Swedish 6.5x55 started with a sporterize Model
96. My next Swed was a sporterized 1901 Model 94 with a tiger maple
full length stock. Both of these former military rifles are a joy to
shoot and both took deer for me. My next 6.5x55 was a Ruger No. lA
made in 2011 from Lee Newton
with a Zeiss 4-power scope. It has taken one-shot kills on whitetail
deer for the last three years. I reload with my favorite for the 6.5x55
being 46.5 grs of RL22 behind a 140 gr Nosler Partition bullet. OAL 3.ll0". This load
was taken from the No. 7 Nosler Reloading Guide.

With its low recoil and accuracy this is my caliber for deer hunting.