Ruger M77 .264 Win Mag question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trader Dix

Bearcat
Recently acquired an M77 264 win mag. Seems not many were made. Apparently they were uncataloged so information is scarce. Mine is a 773 prefix s/n. Determined it was mfg'd in 1990. I'm trying to determine what the butt pad should look like. Mine has a black cushioned LimbSaver pad. I've been told there were 1043 made for Outdoor Sports in Ohio and they were shipped with a black cushioned butt pad. Wondering if anyone can confirm or advise which one it should have. One would think it should say Ruger on it even if it was a black cushioned pad.

Hi I had one that did have the black pad I traded it for a #1 in 45/70 to a good friend out in Montana I kind of wish I kept it I am sure if I begged him I could get it back

Gramps

macs77

Bearcat
My 264 tang safety has the smooth black pad with the ruger logo, have a couple of rifles with the 773 prefix that also have the smooth black ruger pad.

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
I think all 264's will have the black pad. Ruger was in the process of changing from red pads to black in the early 90's. The Reference of Ruger Firearms by Chad Hiddleson states that 1043 of the Special Distributor model (7719) were shipped to Outdoor Sports (OH) from 1990 to 1991 known serial number range 772-13341 to 773-21784. BTW I have a black pad that is still in the plastic bag that has never been installed - perfect for your gun (IF the stock hasn't been cut).

picketpin

Buckeye
Really? I have both a #1 "BH" that shipped in August 2012 with a black pad and a blued/walnut 77 with a black pad.. I hunt both with the factory pad. Everybody that has tried them likens it to a 25-06 with a 120. I'm shooting 140 Accubonds maxed out and do not find the recoil objectionable.

Weren't there the blued/walnut right after the 35 Whelen and then some stainless ones with engraved floor plates for some anniversary or something. The one I have is just your basic "Magnum" 77 with a walnut stock, a blued receiver with a 24" barrel.

RWT

I worked for a guy once that had Limb Savers and muzzle brakes installed on all his rifles, including his 22-250!!?? ;-(