ruger m-77 rs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bctrucker

Bearcat
Hi Guys
Finally managed to get a 300 win mag,M-77 rs tang safety in exellent
shape. made in 1983. I looked a long time,before finding one that was in the shape I wanted. What do you guys think of the RS model.
MIKE

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
For my money, the tang S/RS/ST is the most classic of the Ruger guns. If I could have found or had access to an RS when I picked up some of theR's I shoot, I would have RS's instead. :!:

picketpin

Buckeye
About 10% of the total 77 production in the MKI and the MKII were either RS or ST models. With the RS being the more common the two.

The RS is the receiver with the intergal scope mounting dovetails that use factory Ruger rings. They were available in short action and long action 77s.

The ST is the Round Top receiver profile with the same top as the Remington 700 LA and the Howa made Weatherby Vanguards. It was available in the Long Action 77 in all or nearly all chamberings of the Long Action, over time. The 257 Roberts is the "smallest" ST and the the 338 is the "largest".

The only Round Tops without sights are the PL model that were made for a couple of Big Box Stores in 270 and 30-06 and of course are Long Actions.

My first ST was a 257 Roberts, it was introduced in 1972 with a 24" medium weight barrel and sights. It was the first ST I ever saw. I've bought a FEW more over the years.

If I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will correct me.

What's an "S"??

I know a BIT more about #1s. ;-)

Ross

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
...and...machined receiver for rings (like R/RS)...no rings packaged with the gun from factory. No difference in an RS and S if the gun sports factory rings. Only discernible with a factory letter or box.

picketpin

Buckeye
I don't believe it's mentioned in Burkes book. I suspect you'd have to a REALLY serious collector to hunt one out for inclussion in the safe.

I think I do remember Mrs McKnights baby boy telling it once. S/RS/ST

Make no sense though. I can see not shipping Ruger rings with an ST but have no idea why you would ship a RS without. Unless you want the buyer to buy the Redfield base and use their rings or use the Burris or Leupold rings.

Ross

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
picketpin, not sure your response meaning, but the S was introduced in the catalog in about 1970-71. Purpose was, I believe, a modest cost savings from an RS at $179.00 to the S at $165.00 (same price as the R, of course the R had rings). Burke does reference the S several times in his book. At the time, I do not believe there were any second party rings for the integral base receiver. You used Ruger or you did without. As a 22 year old, that $14 bucks would have made a difference, but never saw one stocked, so ended up with an RS in 7mm Mag, hollow bolt as my first gun. Did not mount a scope for a few years. As an E-4, stationed in Idaho Falls, I had to have a good huntin' rig, and $179.00 was a wad. Still have that gun.

picketpin

Buckeye
My first 77 was a used flat bolt 6mm R that had been punched to 6mm-284. Bought that one at Sunset on Fairview in Boise. The second and the first I purchased new was the 257 Roberts ST in 1972. I still have both. First Ruger purchased was a #1 in 1967.

I may have confused the S with the PL. Because unless the "S" was simply an RS with no rings in the box then you were going to need rings. That would be much like the fact that Ruger did not ship rings with #1s that came with sights, the "S" and "A" models and their predecessors in the non prefix era, for many years. The cost was the same regardless. You got sights or rings but not both.. In hind sights I was probably aware they shipped the "S" and it was for the cost savings but unless you have the box, how do identify one?? Does Records differentiate?

It took Redfield less than 2 years to offer their base that allowed the use of their rings on the intergal ring "R" receiver from the time the 77 was introduced. I have several in the parts cabinet. Of course Burris wasn't even in business then. Leupold was a bit slower but not by a lot.

'll have to go back and read Burkes book again. I don't have it memorized like I do Claytons book. I don't seriously collect 77s as I only have a dozen or so, either Flat Bolts, 1 Hollow Bolt 7mm Mag "R" or MKI STs.

208: So you went to Nuke School at INEL??

Native born 5th generation Idahoan
3rd generation BSU Alum - my grandmother went to Saint Katherines.
Disabled Vietnam Vet - US Army
Retired LEO
Proud member of, nothing. I don't "Join" I did once, see above.
I have however been GOING to join RCA and RENE for the last 30 years or so.

Ross

picketpin

Buckeye
The "S" question is answered by 308s post regarding the 77 in the camo stock.

I guess one would in fact "Letter" I probably won't hunt for one but it is interesting that the factory recorded it seperately

Also amazing that they didn't simply charge you the same for it as the "R" or that you essentually got the rings or sights, one or the other for free with an "RS". The #1s with sights shipped without rings but cost exactly the same as the the non sighted configuration but with the same rib, but Ruger rings. None were shipped with sights AND rings until much later.

Ross

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
The PL, now that was for those who did not like the Ruger setup, and I believe never cataloged. A ruger with the ability to put Redfield or what ever bases and rings and did not what sights. Have several, and the STs, well, a couple of those, but I for one am a fan of the Ruger integral base setup.

Anyway, yes, went to nuke school at the INEL, then known as the NRTS, in '70, and did an instructor tour in '72-'76. Kinda fell in love with Idaho, and have tried to stay here ever since. Lookin' to retire in Boise area though, we will see what this economy does over the next couple year.

Maybe I will have the chance to meet you in Boise this coming Jan at the show. I plan to repeat an M 77 display (a work in progress) and a center fire Ruger semi-auto pistol display (even more a work in progress). Fun, good folks, and nice Rugers to look at and learn about.

Matt

picketpin

Buckeye
Matt: Probably. I'm STILL trying to decide if I want to join RCA so I can display some #1s. I planned on it last year but had some holes I wanted to fill first.

I got two of them filled, I bought the first "1976" "B" I plan on keeping and found a stippled pad 243 "B". I'm still looking for a "B" with the "S" safety.
I have an "A" with "S" safety but the rest of the display is/would be all "B"s and I'd like them all the same as the focus I'd like to display, engiineering and cosmetic over time. I've have what I want from that point but a bunch of different configurations seemed to confuse the issue.

You seem to get a lot of, but whats that? Because it's an "S". Why is the barrel different? Because it's a "V" etc.

I did realize the ST was introduced for those that did not like the Ruger ring and receiver system. Sort of like Winchester and the the 32 Special was kept in the line up of 94s because it could still be loaded for black powder for those that refused to change to progressive burning powder.

I understood that the "PL"s were essentually the "S" version of the "ST round top receiver. Made in 270 Win and 30-06 for one or more wholesalers for the big box stores in order to get a round top into them as cheap as possible."

I'm not a real fan of winter in Alcohol Falls but Boy Howdy I'd have to think real hard about Boise unless there was a compelling reason to move there. Kids in College, job etc. I worked there for the state for a number of years and of course went to school there both under graduate and graduate in the 80s but I'd be hard pressed to ever moved back. It's gotten just too big and crowded for me too enjoy and the traffic NEVER has a slow down period like it did in the 70s and 80s. I try to go to the VA in the middle of the morning or afternoon. It doesn't seem to help much any more. I usually shoot for the 1pm appointment so I can be finished and gone before the 5 o'clock rush hour, beginning at 3:45 PM. :-(

Hopefully I'll see you in January. If nothing else I'll be at the show. Joining and displaying are still up in the air. I seem to have a lot of irons in the fire right now.

Ross

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
"pin", I do not think a membership in the RCA is required to display and participate in the awards at the Boise show. I am not an RCA member and have done so. You might give Hank Green a call.

Matt