Ruger Low Back Six Series Revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
I recently have taken a real liking to the older low back snubby Security Six series..
I picked up this early mint low back Service Six marked as a Security Six a bit ago...
Today I took delivery of this low back Speed Six in .38 Special only. Nowhere mint but a little unusual in the .38 only.
These always have fascinated me, as they really were a very well built rugged Ruger revolver...
Cheers,
HD

413678630.jpg

413678629.jpg

That Speed Six makes me drool--just well enough used to USE!

They (and all "Sixes") are almost impossible to find in CA due to our ridiculous gun laws. If your legislature starts talking about "consumer protection" and handguns in the same proposed law--LOOK OUT!

Armybrat

Buckeye
Nice plum color on that cylinder.

The 1975 Service Six 4" in .357 I gave my son 20+ years ago has a good shade of plum color on most of the frame.

Sweet guns they are.

hittman

Staff member
Agreed ...... the low backs have a certain cool factor. Don't shoot mine a lot but they do handle well.

1akct74.jpg

M25r3bA.jpg

APnl08d.jpg

hittman

Staff member
Mega Twin said:
Can you post a pic of a low back,and a standard side by side?

Somebody here has one of those but it's not me.

iqhMNho.jpg

1akct74.jpg

Not side by side but as close as I can get right now.

Seems folks early on complained of the grip rolling into the web of the shooters hand, and/or they had difficulties with duplication of grip while firing. The little "hump" helped dampen the roll and caused a natural place for the web of the hand. I have shot both the high backs and low backs extensively, and I never found an issue with the geometry of the original gripframe design.

Bob, I know you asked for some photos, and I did send them to you. But since the photobucket crash, I likely have few or none left on this forum. So here's a couple for public viewing... :mrgreen:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The "low-back" early versions never fit my hands quite right. They always required a bit of adjustment once in my hand, in other words. But I like 'em just the same.