Ruger lite pipe inserts on Match Champion ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JStacy

Blackhawk
The lite pipes on a Ruger Match Champion are rather large and I would like to use a smaller lite pipe since it takes up so much of the front sight? My other option is to buy a new front sight with out the lite pipe in it ? Any one tried this ?
I have the lite pipe set taht comes with the Ruger MKII 22's and they are much smaller , would one of those fit the MC front sight?

contender

Ruger Guru
I think Ruger uses the "Hi-Viz" lite pipes for their fiber optic sights. The fiber "pipes" are easily replaceable within the use of that brand. HOWEVER,, if there are (2) sizes,, then most likely,, the swap to a smaller pipe won't fit or if it goes in, won't stay in.

I'd try it,, but look into a different front sight if you desire a smaller dot or a different look.

KIR

Sparks, NV
When I took my most recent CCW permit class, the instructor was dead set against attachments for handguns. He asked how many people actually went out to the range at night to practice shooting. Not person responded. So no real need for night lights or pipe lit sights. Having a light on your gun is going to make it difficult to find a holster too He believed in the KISS system. Keep It Simple Stupid!

...and yes, I know, there are always exceptions...

contender

Ruger Guru
KIR,, the Hi-Viz is a simple fiber optic front sight. It's not an actual light. The Hi-Viz calls their fiber inserts "lite pipes" to differentiate from other fiber optic sights.

Oh, and I have, and do practice night & low-light shooting.

But I also believe in the KISS method of stuff.

JStacy

Blackhawk
HiViz sight is for the base GP and not the MC variant by the pictures. Make sure you get one for the MC Novak cut if you're going to go replacing the whole front sight.
I have already replaced the rear sight on the match champion with an adjustable Novak, Mod LMA38001, I am considering a plain post for a sharper target sight type picture. I have a 4" 357, with high vis front sight I can use for personal protection. I sight my revolvers in at 25 yards, six o clock hold, and find that serves me best in the field! The MC is supposed to be an accurate gun and I just want better sight for more precise shooting.

NikA

Buckeye
I misread what you wanted from your first post. I'd go with the Dawson Precision plain front post for the GP Novak cut: https://dawsonprecision.com/novak-cut-black-front-sights/

I've used their sights on other applications with no complaints. I considered replacing the front sight on my GP44 and came to the conclusion they were the best option, but decided against swapping the sight for the time being.

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
When I took my most recent CCW permit class, the instructor was dead set against attachments for handguns. He asked how many people actually went out to the range at night to practice shooting. Not person responded. So no real need for night lights or pipe lit sights. Having a light on your gun is going to make it difficult to find a holster too He believed in the KISS system. Keep It Simple Stupid!

I would think that most likely if you needed to use it at home it would be at night but who knows. I know a few ccw instructors and have found them to be extremely opinionated and maybe they are right but if that pipe fell out I'm pretty sure you could pull off a defensive shot.

anachronism

Single-Sixer
There are about four different diameters of fiber optic pipes commonly used in firearms. They're not interchangeable, but you can get different colors for the sites you already have, or darken the original a bit with a magic marker.

anachronism

Single-Sixer

Your instructor was a moron for assuming that people only own guns to shoot on brightly lit ranges. Fiberoptic sights are very useful in the field for hunting both early and late in the day. I also appreciate them on overcast days. I'm amazed that a CCW instructor would recommend against an accessory that helps the shooter with sight definition in times of stress. He also seems to know that nobody ever needs to use their CCW in any place that's not brightly lit. Bad guys are afraid of the dark and stay home all night. Personally, I prefer tritium.

harley08

Blackhawk

And pratice, pratice, pratice!

KIR

Sparks, NV
Correction harley08. No I won't correct your spelling, but it's...CORRECT PRACTICE, because if you practice something incorrectly you will always get it wrong... ;)