Ruger LCRX 327 Long Colt Rounds Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Moparfreak

Bearcat
Bought the wife a 327 Ferderal LCRX. She will carry wadcutters as her first load. Here's my question, since I can't find semi wadcutters in this caliber, she will either have to carry lead round nose or semi jacketed hollow points (lead) in the speed loader for ease of loading. What say ya'll as to which is more potent for two and four legged critters?

NikA

Buckeye
Are you certain about the "Long Colt" being what you're looking for? .32 S&W Long is compatible with modern .32 revolver cartridges, .32 Colt less so as it used a heeled bullet in a smaller diameter case.

Might change whether you can find your desired loading.

Moparfreak

Bearcat
Are you certain about the "Long Colt" being what you're looking for? .32 S&W Long is compatible with modern .32 revolver cartridges, .32 Colt less so as it used a heeled bullet in a smaller diameter case.

Might change whether you can find your desired loading.
I meant .32 S&W long. Still haven't found semi wad cutters in this caliber. Thanks for the reply.

contender

Ruger Guru
The .327 Federal Magnum chamber can load the .32 shorts, the .32 Longs, the .32 H&R mag, and the .327 Federal magnum.
These are listed in order of case length.
Using any shorter cases than the chamber will require a bit of additional cleaning to allow the longer cases to properly seat.

Bullet choices abound for the handloader,, but factory ammo is a bit more scarce.

Bullet choices against 2 & 4 legged critters will be better served with a SWC design, or a JHP design over the RN design.

NikA

Buckeye
I think this load is the bullet type you're looking for?: https://saintbarbsbullets.com/produ...on-32-sw-long-97gr-lead-flat-point-50-rounds/

ETA: I take it back, despite being "lead flat point" bullets, they sure look like round nose to me. Is your wife so recoil sensitive that .32 H&R is out of the question? Much wider variety of loads in the H&R, and still quite light recoil out of any revolver designed to handle .327 mag.

Moparfreak

Bearcat
I meant .32 S&W long. Still haven't found semi wad cutters in this caliber. Thanks for the reply.

I think this load is the bullet type you're looking for?: https://saintbarbsbullets.com/produ...on-32-sw-long-97gr-lead-flat-point-50-rounds/

ETA: I take it back, despite being "lead flat point" bullets, they sure look like round nose to me. Is your wife so recoil sensitive that .32 H&R is out of the question? Much wider variety of loads in the H&R, and still quite light recoil out of any revolver designed to handle .327 mag.
I haven't tried the .32 H&R or any of the others yet. The LCRX is pretty light compared to other .32 H&R chambered revolvers. I just feel the less recoil the better, to keep her practicing... Also I have found SJHP in .32 Long at 778fps (132 ft lbs. ) for speed loader, and Wadcutters at 730fps (118 ft lbs. ) for initial carry. These are the closest in velosity and foot pounds. Do you think this is a drastic difference she would notice in a life threatening reload? Would it be better for defensive purposes to just run SJHP all the time? I appreciate all of the input. Always learning:)

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Cheaper than dirt has .32 long in magtech swc and buffalo bore wadcutters. Also have buffalo bore in .32 H&R in swc.

NikA

Buckeye
I doubt the recoil difference between those two rounds will be very noticeable. The SJHP rounds are very unlikely to expand given their construction; I did see some .32 S&W Long loaded with XTPs (85 gr.) that are at the bottom end of the velocity range for expansion.

.32 S&W Long target loads are a little less powerful than .32 ACP in a gun that is a few ounces heavier than and significantly easier to grip than all steel .32 pocket pistols. If it were me, I'd pack .32 H&R for defense, and if that were unacceptable I'd look hard at the BB hardcast loads for S&W Long as a minimum defense load.

csnider

Single-Sixer
Check out ammoseek.com. There are plenty of retailers that have S&W 32 Long Semi-Wad Cutter. I just purchased 500 rounds from SAG Ammo in Oklahoma.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Do you think this is a drastic difference she would notice in a life threatening reload? Would it be better for defensive purposes to just run SJHP all the time? I appreciate all of the input. Always learning"

Having taught hundreds & hundreds of ladies to shoot over the last 20 or so years, I can understand your thoughts.

Short answer; Get softer shooting ammo for her to practice with,, and in a stress filled, life threatening, self defense situation, she will not notice the difference in recoil.

I could write a lot of info on just this subject alone. Just trust me on this one.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
.32 S&W Long , loaded to SAAMI pressures , JHP will not expand . In theory , a WC will have slightly larger wound channel , but RNL is much better for Speedloaders , or quick reloading generally .

How Low , is Low Recoil in the OP's context ?

Depending on brand & lot , real world chronograph from 3in bbl , 98gr RN .32 S&WL will give mid 600's to just over 700 fps . Mainstream .32H&R Mag 85gr JHP give +/- 900fps .

Oversimplified - .32 S&W Long = apr twice the recoil of .22lr . Mainstream .32 Mag = apr 1/4 t9 1/3 lass recoil than std velocity .38Spl in same size gun .

* To Me * , both are low recoil , but we don't know of Mrs Moparfreak's physical handicaps .

.32 Colt Long will bulge , and split about half the time , when fired in .32 S&W Long chamber. Ask me how I know .

I know I'm not answering what you asked, but .32 Long has been scarce in retail venues for quite a while. If you're just 'shooting' and wanting to keep recoil to a minimum, these run of the mill .32 Longs are quite decent, and at a fair price considering the market.
Screenshot 2022-07-29 at 09-32-31 Prvi Partizan 32 S&W Long Ammo 98 Grain Lead Round Nose.png

Moparfreak

Bearcat
Thanks folks for the answers. Yes, I saw those Prvi for sale. I have not actually seen Semi Wad Cutters for sale in .32 S&W long. I see them called Semi Wad cutters but their hollow points. I ordered a box of wad cutters and a box of hollow points in .32 S&W long for her to practice with as a start. I will get some .32 H&R Mag for her to try as well. She has fired 38 special target rounds from a 357 Magnum Security Six, with 4" barrel and didn't have any problems, but that was 5 years ago ( she's 67 yrs young ) and she wouldn't carry that type of weight around concealed...

Tom K

Bearcat