Ruger LCR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cindylou

Bearcat
I am a petite female looking for a concealed carry. Leaning towards a revolver because that is what I have shot in the past and the simplicity of the "point and shoot". I tried out the LCR .38 and am wondering if I am trying to reduce the amount of recoil, would I be better off with a LCR .357 (plan to still shoot .38 bullets). I'm just curious as to how much the extra weight of the .357 would help with recoil. Thanks in advance.

The felt recoil is less when shooting .38's out of the LCR .357, but I wouldn't say that it's a lot. I pocket carry the .38 with a Bantam grip because size and weight is important to me and you are correct about the recoil, it's pretty snappy. If you don't mind the extra weight then the .357 will help, I also recommend the Tamer grip. Since it's a carry gun made for up close work and not as a range gun, if you can control the .38 and you want the lighter gun then recoil won't be much of a factor unless you plan on a long range session. If you don't mind the extra couple of ounces then the .357 is a little more pleasant to shoot, but not by that much...at least that's the way it feels to me. My wife despises the recoil of my .38 so she purse carries a .22 LCR, that gun is super fun to shoot with no recoil and 8 shots.

hittman

Staff member
To me .... and only my opinion .... the extra weight of the 357 outweighed (pun intended) the "gain" of less felt recoil. Meaning, I carry my 38 LCR without a thought but the 357 seemed much heavier and, I sold it. Just didn't like carrying it at all.

You may want to think about the LCR in 22 Magnum.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
hittman said:
To me .... and only my opinion .... the extra weight of the 357 outweighed (pun intended) the "gain" of less felt recoil. Meaning, I carry my 38 LRC without a thought but the 357 seemed much heavier and, I sold it. Just didn't like carrying it at all.

I have the LCR .22mag, and it's a pretty comfy gun to shoot and carry. It does have a very heavy trigger tho, if that is a concern for her. Other than that, I'd recommend loading it with the Hornady .22mag Critical Defense round, which is designed for short barrels.

http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR-45gr-Critical-Defense/

critical-defense-compare-22wmr-380auto.jpg

The top bullet is a 380 Auto 90 gr. Critical Defense round at 896 fps from a 2.75" barrel Ruger LCP. The bottom bullet is a 22 WMR 45 gr. Critical Defense round from a S&W 351 PD with a 1-7/8" barrel at 1038 fps.

rob-c

Single-Sixer
My wife lovers her lcr 38+p , shooting 125 grain bullets will help with recoil stay away from the 140 / 158 grain bullets = more recoil. My wife can shoot a cylinder of the Remington 125 grain +p golden sabers no problem. As was stated the 22 lcr has a heavy trigger so if you are considering it try to shoot one or at least dry fire one.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
hittman said:
To me .... and only my opinion .... the extra weight of the 357 outweighed (pun intended) the "gain" of less felt recoil. Meaning, I carry my 38 LRC without a thought but the 357 seemed much heavier and, I sold it. Just didn't like carrying it at all.

I have the LCR .22mag, and it's a pretty comfy gun to shoot and carry. It does have a very heavy trigger tho, if that is a concern for her. Other than that, I'd recommend loading it with the Hornady .22mag Critical Defense round, which is designed for short barrels.

http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR-45gr-Critical-Defense/

critical-defense-compare-22wmr-380auto.jpg

The top bullet is a 380 Auto 90 gr. Critical Defense round at 896 fps from a 2.75" barrel Ruger LCP. The bottom bullet is a 22 WMR 45 gr. Critical Defense round from a S&W 351 PD with a 1-7/8" barrel at 1038 fps.
I have both the .22 wmr and the .327 LCR's. The .22 wmr is much more pleasant to shoot compared to .327 federal mag rounds. However, the nice thing about the .327 is that you can shoot .32 h&r or .32 s&w long or shot as well. I really find that little .22 mag a pleasure to carry and shoot. It is very accurate and is no slouch either. :) Trigger does suck though.

Rob72

Bearcat
Hi, cindylou,
Before going further- do you have the option of going to a range that has rentals, before you decide? If you have a friend or relative who isn't of the "yahoo!" sort, and explains things well (i.e, listens to you and gives relevant feedback), that would be a really good start. If not, and if you aren't a regular shooter, I think you're on the right track- go ahead with the .357. Widely available rounds, relatively low cost practice ammo, and if you get comfortable and want to get all Wonder Woman with some .357 +P+ ammo, you have the option. :)

My wife is not at all a gun person. She likes my MkII bull barrel (.22LR), and is ok with my 3" SP101 with a conversion cylinder that takes 9mm/.380/9x18. We have it with some 9x18 HPs as her home-alone gun. Not too brutal on recoil, or shooting without hearing protection indoors, if needed.

There are some good suggestions here. Personally, I would write down some of the calibers mentioned and check you local Walmart, sporting goods, etc., and see what the prices and availability are. Shoot. Lots. And lots more. 8)

I'm going to be a heathen on a revo forum and say if you can, the Glock 43 or 19 would be an excellent choice, if you have the time and interest to get comfortable with an auto. The S&W Shields have an excellent reputation as well.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
The 327 fed mag LCR gun should also be an option for reducing recoil especially if shooting 32 H&R mags. :D

I agree with Jimbo. When my usual dress allows me to pocket carry only I feel very confident carrying my LCR 327 Federal mag. Stuffed with Federal 85 gr. Hydrashocks the recoil is significantly less than that of 100 and 115 gr. Gold dots I've tried.
32 HR Mags are powder puff loads by comparison yet ballistics show that round is the equivalent of a 380, and they can be used in the LCR 327. I don't want to omit telling you that the LCR 327 carries 6 rounds; not 5. I also installed a CT Green laser. I carry this gun more than any other I own.

image_zpsqr44b53o.jpeg

NB4EST

Bearcat
My .357 LCR has the best factory DA pull of any handgun I ever fired. In local dot matches with other old fogies, it has out-shot EVERY other sub-3 inch barrel in our circle. I highly recommend it.

cindylou

Bearcat
Bearcat,
Thanks for the advice about rental guns. Actually, we have been to 2 ranges locally to try both revolvers and semi-autos. If I keep this up, with what we have spent in range fees and rentals, I could have bought a gun! I do understand the importance of trying them out though and it has been helpful. Tried the Glock 43 and it wasn't bad - just not convinced yet on the semi-auto. Some of the S&W's I've tried have lost me due to the trigger pull. That is one thing I really like about the LCR.

I do appreciate everyone's feedback on the different LCR models and the pros and cons. Thanks so much to all of you!

contender

Ruger Guru
First, "Welcome to the Forum!"
Now, first off, My wife & I have been teaching ladies to shoot for over 14 years with the NRA Women On Target program. We have a lot of experience answering your type of questions.

First, there is a lot of excellent info above.

if you can try out a firearm type before you buy,, then by all means, do so.
Also understand that a set of grips can make a LOT of difference in how a gun feels in YOUR hands. You need to find what fits YOU!

Recoil. It's a simple matter of physics. The heavier the firearm, the less felt recoil there is. The lighter the gun, the more felt recoil there is.
Recoil management is all in a proper fitting & feeling grip, and often of a material that helps absorb some of the felt recoil. (Rubber vs. wood for example.)
Also, learning how to properly grip a handgun has a lot to do with how it feels in your hands. A poor gripping method can have negative effects on how you shoot.

Now, in our WOT clinics,, we have a selection of 38's & 357's for the ladies to try. We use S&W models 19, 27, & 28. We have Ruger Security-Sixes, SP-101's, & LCRs. We have found in general, that most of the ladies prefer the SP-101,, with a set of grips that fit their hands to be the overall best handling & shooting firearm we offer. We have different grips for the exact same models for them to try. We have more SP-101's than any other, with the following grips; Factory, Crimson Trace laser, & Hogue rubber grips. The LCR we have is in 38 Spl, and I recently added a 9mm to that one. Both so far have factory grips. The S&W's have factory & Pachmyers.

With that,, comes the complaint of the added weight for carry, when the SP-101 is chosen.

Now,,, if you are anywhere close to me in Western NC,,, I'd gladly offer to help & let you try things for free.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
i love my lcr. there are lots of reduced recoil self defense loads out there, or you can make your own (if you are so inclined). the big thing, imho, is to practice. you will get used to the recoil. also practice getting back on target. i wouldn't use +p in that gun, either. it is VERY light, as you know. i think the .357 is 4 ounces heavier? significant.

cindylou, sounds like you have tried several guns at the ranges. Sounds to me like you have put considerable thought in to this and have made a reasonable decision. I'd say go for it. Personally I can't tell any difference in recoil from an LCR 357mag and an LCR 38+P, so if you did certainly go with your decision and don't bother with second guessing yourself. My wife thinks highly of her LCR 38, hers has got Crimson Trace grips and gives her just a little more confidence, in her ability under less than optimum circumstances. Hopefully you never find yourself in that postion. Picking a gun is just the first part. One thing I typically recommend to EVERYONE who decides to have a gun for personal protection is to read the book by Masad Ayoob, called IN THE GRAVEST EXTREME. It was written several years ago and there are considerably more choices in handgun protection now than there was then, but the basic message and the legal aspects were true then and true now. It will fill in a lot of good information for any of the questions you may have, now or later. When you've saved some more money, please consider additional training. Something you will find out as you go through life is you are probably going to decide that a different gun will satisfy other needs, that you don't have today. If you don't believe that you can ask any of these guys how many personal defense guns they have. :) This need will change with the close you wear, or maybe even the season, or what area you plan to be. You will never know when you should carry a gun (unless you are psychic) but there will never be a time when it's not good to have a gun. A gun is like a parachute, if you need one, you need one now. Make an effort to make carrying habitual. And it will take an effort. It's not always convenient to have a gun. Sometimes it's extremely inconvenient to NOT have a gun. :) Have fun with this.

I carry the LCR 38 with the standard Hogue grips and have no problem with the recoil. I shoot reloads that are a more heavy 38, but not quite a +P load. I have two LCRx's, one with 3" barrel and adjustable sights and the other is a fixed sight model. They both have the Hogue grip that comes standard on the 3" LCRx. This grip significally helps with recoil, but not as easy for carry, at least pocket carry. In a holster not much difference.
My wife couldn't deal with the recoil so she has the LCR in 22 and loves it. She wanted my CT laser grips so I swapped them to it and put the Hogue grip on my 38. The CT laser grip is nice but recoil is a little more than with the Hogues.

cindylou

Bearcat
Thanks to all who have given me input. It has been very helpful. Now this question from my hubby who is a retired LEO>
Hi, this is Cindy Lou's husband. We have moved totally away from the Auto's. Long story. Have shot lots of revolvers and auto's over the last 3 afternoon and nights. She is a real estate agent working alone in very secluded upper level new homes development. We are back to the Ruger LCR. We see where the 375 is 17oz, and can also shoot 38's which should produce less recoil. However we also see where the 9mm is also 17oz. The question is now if she shoots 38's in the 357 or purchase the 17oz 9mm and just shoot 9mm. We need to go with the less recoil and I can understand her concerns. Trust me, we will practice a lot on the gun we eventually buy as she will probably have a perceived intuition that a problem may exist, but will have less then a 1/2 second to pull it and shoot if required. We are concerned about very close range shooting and just getting the shot off. But, if there is excess recoil, she will fight practicing. So, those are now the two choices we are researching now. And, thanks for your help.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
cindylou said:
Thanks to all who have given me input. It has been very helpful. Now this question from my hubby who is a retired LEO>
Hi, this is Cindy Lou's husband. We have moved totally away from the Auto's. Long story. Have shot lots of revolvers and auto's over the last 3 afternoon and nights. She is a real estate agent working alone in very secluded upper level new homes development. We are back to the Ruger LCR. We see where the 375 is 17oz, and can also shoot 38's which should produce less recoil. However we also see where the 9mm is also 17oz. The question is now if she shoots 38's in the 357 or purchase the 17oz 9mm and just shoot 9mm. We need to go with the less recoil and I can understand her concerns. Trust me, we will practice a lot on the gun we eventually buy as she will probably have a perceived intuition that a problem may exist, but will have less then a 1/2 second to pull it and shoot if required. We are concerned about very close range shooting and just getting the shot off. But, if there is excess recoil, she will fight practicing. So, those are now the two choices we are researching now. And, thanks for your help.

I haven't shot the LCR 9mm, but in factory stock form it will be about as snappy as any other lightweight revolver of the same caliber and similar weight. That's just the baked in physics of it. The LCR has about a 9lb trigger, again pretty much the same as any other DAO pistol. It also requires the use of moon clips, which has both advantages and disadvantages in reloading.

That said, you can remedy some of the snappy felt recoil with after market grips. Hogues "Tamer" grips are popular for these little guns https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger/lcr

And of course your choice of ammo for either SD or practice will have a lot to do with recoil. For 9mm, I'd go with a low gr. fmj bullet (90 gr. or so) for practice and use the Hornady Critical Defense (100gr & 115gr) or Critical Duty(135gr) for daily carry http://www.hornady.com .

Also, Underwood (one of my favorite high quality suppliers) offers a 70grJHP you might try out. https://www.underwoodammo.com/9mm-luger-70-grain-hero/

PS: I'd also suggest other personal defense weapons, such as a boot knife, pepper spray, etc.. Pretty sure as a former LEO, you likely carried those as well as a firearm on duty, so she should have the same options. As has been said, you go into combat with the weapons you have, not the ones you wish you had. :wink:

Rob72

Bearcat
cindylou said:

I would *suggest* the .357, as you can carry speed strips for reload much easier than full moon clips. Some will say, "If 5 don't do it...!" Being at a scene, separated from your vehicle, and not having a full cylinder/mag to get there, with a BG who is definitely not down after you've thrown your first 5 is unpleasant. Prepare for the worst, anything else is a piece of cake.

The ballistics on the receiving end are no different, one to the other. Lighter, faster bullets (115 gr 9mm/110 or 125 gr .38/.357) will be much snappier and louder. The heavier loads, getting up to 148 gr will be subjectively less punishing, as the recoil impulse is slower and more "push" than "jump". Again, a good .38 Spl is more than adequate.

Good info here:
https://tacticalprofessor.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/tac-5-year-w-tables.pdf

No one else I've encountered condenses practical carry/usage into the real world as well as Mr. Werner:
https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/

Latest posts