Ruger LCR 327 Federal my review

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I read everything I could find on Ruger's newest addition and really loving the LCR 38 I already own, I decided that taking a chance on a 327 federal would be worth a try. This is a six shot revolver. In a few words I could describe this gun as both a puppy and a pit bull. it's a puppy because it could shoot 32 long, 32 auto, 32 HR magnum, and finally 327 federal magnum. The 32 wadcutters had the recoil impulse of a puppy .22 and the 32 HR mags felt like a mild 38 special. Now when I stoked the LCR with Federal 327 85 Gr. Hydroshocks, the gun turned pit bull. Then I fired several Speer 327 115gr. Gold Dots and those left the muzzle like an angry pit bull. I was very surprised at the difference in recoil between the 85 Gr. Hydroshocks and the 115 Gr. Gold Dots!
Loaded with 6 Hornady Critical Defense 85 Gr. 32 HR Magnum rounds (from what I've read makes a formidable self defense round) recoil is what I would consider quite mild and controllable, and the loaded gun weighs only 19.3 oz. The 327 Federal Hydroshocks were very powerful but with controllable recoil.
Downside : the downside of this firearm is that 327 Federal ammo is difficult to find. For me, the 85 Gr. Hydroshocks are the way to go. I actually stumbled across 2 boxes of them in my local gun store and that is my carry load.
Finally, as hard as it is to find ammo, it is equally hard to find these guns for sale. When I bought mine two weeks ago for a pretty good price, there were six guns on Gunbroker, for the last week there have been zero and then only one, selling for $549. ( I paid considerably less ).
To resolve the problem scarcity of ammo I bought a set of dies, ordered 1500 cases from Starline, and a variety of 32 bullets....problem solved.
To sum it up, I really love this LCR 327 Federal. I've made a sizable investment in this gun, and my commitment to it is obvious.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I happen to have a few 327's but not the LCR one. It is a sweet caliber to enjoy. You did the right thing,,, getting into reloading it. Solves any ammo issues.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Thank you for the review. I'm interested in the LCR 327, but have yet to see one in a store. I wish Ruger would get more of them in circulation, AND get some ammo makers to get some .327 on the shelves.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
ditto1958 said:
Thank you for the review. I'm interested in the LCR 327, but have yet to see one in a store. I wish Ruger would get more of them in circulation, AND get some ammo makers to get some .327 on the shelves.

Cannot agree with you more. I even went on Ruger's web site and filled in an inquiry to the CEO about this very same thing...........got no response and that's not good!

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
contender said:
.......................... You did the right thing,,, getting into reloading it. Solves any ammo issues.

I bought a set of Lee carbide dies and it is set up for 32 HR Magnum, can I adjust the same die set for 327 federal? My 327 cases are due to arrive March 2.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have had my 327 LCR for a couple of months but I have been unable to shoot it much. I actually had to send this one back to Ruger. The cylinder was not right, it had one tight chamber that was very difficult to extract cases from. Not exactly what you want in a carry gun. :shock: This was the first time I have had to send anything back but it was returned fixed and working great in about ten days.

I will concur with buckshotshorty on the recoil. I also fired the same rounds as well as the 100gr. Gold Dot load and I would carry it in this gun. I would pick the 115gr. load in the SP101. I would call the recoil with the LCR meaningful... It gets your attention but is not like a light 357 gun with full house loads- that is painful.

+1 on the reloading for 32s and getting the Starline brass. It is top notch stuff in all the rounds i have tried it in. If you shoot lead bullets for practice / plinking, try Clays powder. Max load of 3.7 gr. with a 115gr RNFP bullet is my all around load for 327 and 3.0gr Red Dot and the same bullet works great in 32H&R brass.

32Magfan

Ditmo

Single-Sixer
I got converted to .327 with a Single Seven. I already had an SP101 3" and a Vaqurito in 32H&R. Now I've got the .327 SP101 4.2" and the LCR. The only way to go is reloading. I had to buy new dies because my dillon 32H&R dies wouldn't work for the .327 I bought the Lee dies and they work well.

gjgalligan

Single-Sixer
2 or 3 years ago I wrote to to the head of Ruger asking if they would ever make the lcr in .327, was told no.

Wonder why they changed their minds?
I have 1000 .327 mag StarLine brass and I have a lot of .S&W Long ready to shoot. I just need to get some SD bullets to load.

Oh, I need to find the lcr .327. They seem to be quite rare.

It seems to me that Ruger is not producing guns that they should be producing as the new LCR 327 is impossible to find, as is the 357mag/9mm flat top Blackhawk, the 454 and the 480 Bisley SBH...etc etc etc...

What revolvers are they currently making, because around my neck of the woods...the newer handguns just aren't available and haven't been...

32magfan

Blackhawk
NhRugerman,

I bought my LCR in 327 from Arizona Arms (aka ACRYLICTNK) in the classifieds. The website is arizonaarms.com. Mike is a dealer for Davidson's and others but he has the uncanny knack for having rare Rugers and posts them for sale. At least one other member does the same. Davidson's, Kygun company, Bud's, etc. all had this gun listed at one time. The process is not all that difficult if you can be patient. I have bought several guns in this fashion and never had an issue. If you expect to find some guns by walking into your local shop, it might never happen. If I see one out today, I will post who has it here on RF. Good luck in your search - this gun is worth it. :wink:

Thanks,
32Magfan

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
I got with my local gun dealer and it only took him one day to find one. Picked it up and have been shooting it now and love it. I've shot it with only practice so far and will reload for it. I will keep it in my car and take the LCR 357 and put it in the night stand. Still in the process of breaking it in, but will give a range report shortly.

32magfan said:
NhRugerman,

I bought my LCR in 327 from Arizona Arms (aka ACRYLICTNK) in the classifieds. The website is arizonaarms.com. Mike is a dealer for Davidson's and others but he has the uncanny knack for having rare Rugers and posts them for sale. At least one other member does the same. Davidson's, Kygun company, Bud's, etc. all had this gun listed at one time. The process is not all that difficult if you can be patient. I have bought several guns in this fashion and never had an issue. If you expect to find some guns by walking into your local shop, it might never happen. If I see one out today, I will post who has it here on RF. Good luck in your search - this gun is worth it.the :wink:

Thanks,
32Magfan

Thanks, I have purchased guns from Mike off the forum as well as Gun Genie, Buds, CDNN,,etc...I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my post...or should I say rant :cry: ....just frustrated...AS I prefer to buy guns locally to support the local dealers...so I hope things will improve...we suddenly have an abundance of 22LR ammo around and folks are advertising some very good prices locally on Armslist and the dealers all have it now, too...so I guess I just need to be patient and diligent in my searches!

Thanks again!

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Nice write up on it. It is next on my handgun wish list. I especially like the versatility of the .32 caliber loadings.

32magfan

Blackhawk
NH Rugerman,

I have tried to buy locally here in my area. My problem is having no real full time shops in my county here in TN. A new guy opened 18 months ago and had the shop in his garage. I met with him, traded there, ordered some guns through him from Davidson's and Lipsey's as well. Being new and smaller, he was at the tail end on allocated items ( like the 327 LCR) and often told me he was trying but likely was not going to be able to acquire what I was wanting. I would then go and order elsewhere and do the transfer through him. Alas, he had decided to get out and has shut down his shop. :cry:

An hour away from here in Lebanon, TN, there are 5 gun shops that I know of. Why can' t we have one in McMinnville?? Outpost Armory (Barrett family of .50 Cal rifle fame) is 40 or so minutes away. They have a huge selection but don't always get the oddball, special edition stuff.

I have learned to go ahead and get what I want while it is current. Some of the things that I passed on back in the day are crazy stupid high now. For instance, model 16 S&W revolvers, Marlin Cowboy 1894 in 32 H&R Mag, and Davidson's Ruger Vaquero 32mag / 32-20 SS convertibles. Look at the prices of those on auction sites and prepare for a shock. If Ruger does not make any more of these LCR's, it will climb to crazy levels like the GP100 7-shot and 8- shot BlackHawk have done. I got Mike, ACRYLICTNK, to add the LCR 327 when I got the 41 Mag Redhawk from him when it first came out.

I shot the 327 today with Federal American Eagle 100 gr. SP ammo. It definitely got folks attention at the indoor range. Recoil was stout but not terrible. I managed about thirty rounds today and it grouped in about 4" firing offhand at 7 yards.

I only saw a 4" SP101 in 327 today, no LCR's. I will keep an eye out. Good luck in case finding the elusive little rascal.

32Magfan

TinStarFirearms

Single-Sixer
I have not fired mine with full bore .327 Federal ammunition yet but the heavy loaded .32 magnums that I normally shoot give me enough recoil as it is. I have spoiled myself with the heavier Single Seven and a Clements .327 conversion and had not thought of the .327 as heavy recoiling but I am not looking forward to firing the LCR with the full power stuff.

Andrew

41manor44

Single-Sixer
The 327 in and LCR can be a handful. You did the right thing getting involved in reloading. I have several 327s and enjoy all of them. I've found a 100 gr plated flat point that Midway carries made by Rainier. I keep stocked up and this is about the only bullet I use. Enjoy your 327 and loading.

dougader

Hunter
FYI, I wrote to Speer about their 32 caliber, 115 grain gold dot bullet and was told it was discontinued. It looks like ammo has also been set aside for the 100 grain loading.

I think that's a mistake frankly and bought my own 120 grain RNFP-GC mould. I suppose I'll practice with those and keep the GD 115s for SD.

magpouch

Single-Sixer
Yes the 115 gr Gold Dot IS discontinued. It is a favorite of mine so that is unfortunate. I have a mold that will cast a 140 grain bullet now so I don't feel SO bad, but I wish they would make that particular bullet again...

I ordered mine locally in Dubuque IA and had it in four days. 550 before tax.
That was five weeks ago....I hope they have not gone "rare". That happened to my three SP 101s, and now they are too valuable to shoot.
Just kidding....