Ruger LCP vs. Bersa 380 Concealed Carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Steve Myers

Single-Sixer
Can't speak to the Bersa. Was looking at the LCP. It was ok, but... Not real comfortable to ME, and reminded me of the Keltec, which was not comfortable.

Not to take away from Ruger - I love them, own 3 and have owned many more - but I picked up a Taurus 709 Slim, range fired it and bought one. Carrying it and it gets more comfortable for carry every day. Worth a look imo.

globalbike

Bearcat
I have the Ruger LCP for pocket carry and back up to either of my, Bersa Thunder 380 or Glock 27. Both are worn IWB holsters. Compared to my Glock 27 when I have the Bersa in my waist band holster I feel like I just lost ten pounds around my waist. I have enough rounds through all my guns that I have 100% confidence in their reliability.

A

Anonymous

Weird, I had posted this same question a few weeks ago- thought my post had come back up.
I had decided on the LCP, but got to thinking- it's 6+1 and I don't have any other 380s, so I'm just gonna get the LCR- a 5-shot. Can't believe it's a hundred more than the LCP though.
The reason for my change to the LCR is I have another 38 I use frequently, and really enjoy shooting. So getting the LCR, I won't have to stock up on another caliber- have about 600 38s, plus a couple hundred +Ps....
Makes sense to me.

smokeyw

Bearcat
SS_SR9 said:
I have a Guru pocket holster, http://www.pocketholsters.com/Ruger_LCP_380_Pocket_Wallet_Ho/ruger_lcp_380_pocket_wallet_ho.html , and carry my P3AT 24/7 in front pocket, cover panel out so it appears as a wallet.

That is a fine carry holster. I have been carrying my LCP in one for a couple of years now and love it. It is so comfortable you will forget it is there.

Nakagawa

Single-Sixer
For all you Bersa owners, what happens when something goes wrong with the gun and needs to be sent it for repair? Where does the gun actually go? Turn around period? Etc. I think it would be rare to hear Bersa's CS beating Ruger's.

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
Although I currently CC either my TCP or LCP my first CC was a Thunder 380. It is still my most reliable, accurate and fun to shoot gun. I mostly shoot 22lr these days but the Bersa still gets it's trip to range because it one of my house guns. BUT, I wouldn't do away with either the TCP or LCP because they are the right size.

ranger1

Buckeye
Nakagawa said:
For all you Bersa owners, what happens when something goes wrong with the gun and needs to be sent it for repair? Where does the gun actually go? Turn around period? Etc. I think it would be rare to hear Bersa's CS beating Ruger's.

I've had my Bersa Thunder 380 for 3 years and it's been a great handgun. In fact, I'd much rather carry the Bersa ILO my LCP......weather permitting of course!

I haven't had any problems with the Bersa, therefore I have no experience regarding their customer service/repair.

All service/repair info is included with the firearm.

Here's a link explaining Bersa's service/repair.

http://www.bersa.com/warranty

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I owned a PA-63, but just couldn't warm up to it. The action design is such that it just seemed to accentuate the recoil too. It was a little pistol with a big kick, and therefore harder to shoot well. I was glad to get rid of it and put the money into something better. I also tried a friends' Walther PP and that gun was just about the same as far as shootability is concerned. I wouldn't buy one of those to keep and use either.

DCRuger

Single-Sixer
I looked for quite some time to find the nickle Bersa .380 Thunder ( they were hard to find for a while) . I finally found one and it worked great. but, I thought it was a bit too big for summer CC. When I finally was able to find a nickle .380 CC model I traded on it. It works great and a better conceal gun. I liked the small finger grip on the regular Thunder model better so I got one of those and put on my CC 8 round magazine which causes me to lose one of the 8 rounds ( Regular Thunder mag is 7 rounds anyway) . I like the size and feel with the little finger attachment and with the 7 rounds I'm still at what the regular Thunder has. One recommendation, get the nickle with silver anodized frame , looks good and holds up much better than the crummy black finishes on these guns.
BTW, I also have the nickle .45ACP model for winter carry and it is a terrific gun for the price!

A

Anonymous

Hands down the Bersa .380 is a more reliable gun. I have had my LCP for a couple of years now and this thing constantly jams. Was sent back to Ruger once already to address this problem and to have the recall done.

I am contacting them again to see if they will take another look at it

BigBlue

Single-Sixer
I had a Bersa Thunder years ago, it was the older steel frame version, I ended up selling it because it was just too much weight for the size of the gun. I recently bought a new Bersa Thunder 380 which has the alloy frame and just love it. A big difference in weight, very reliable, fits my hand just right and very accurate for it's size.
Don