Ruger LCP Barrel question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Some LCP barrels are blued, some appear to be stainless.

Also why does this LCP barrel look like its paper thin in the highlighted section? Do they all look like this?
wthjp.jpg

Thanks for any and all info related to my questions.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
DA_TriggR4Ruger":34o4kci2 said:
Some LCP barrels are blued, some appear to be stainless.

Also why does this LCP barrel look like its paper thin in the highlighted section? Do they all look like this?
wthjp.jpg

Thanks for any and all info related to my questions.

A buddy of mine has a blued barrell LCP and has that "Wasp waist"..................................

slippingaway

Blackhawk
LCPs started with the stainless barrels, then switched to the blued finish later on.

They all have that thin section, I think it has to do with the way the barrel and slide move in relation to each other when the slide starts to move rearward. They need clearance so that the barrel and slide don't bind. It's easier to machine it all the way around when they turn the barrel than to transfer them to a mill to cut out the slot only where it needs to be. At least, that's my best guess.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Since the gun is almost a direct ripoff, er, "interpretation" of the Kel-Tec P3-A/T, they had to include that barrel profile, as the Kel-Tec also uses it. :D

But in reality, I'm pretty sure slippingaway has it: It's required to allow the slide/barrel to unlock and the slide move back.

As far as "paper thin", well yeah, but it doesn't take a lot of barrel wall to direct a bullet. I was amazed at how thin a recently purchased Contender barrel in .45 Colt was.

-- Sam

Cool, thnx for the info guys. Still deciding on a pocket piece. The LCP seems to be one of the more affordable ones right now. And i can actually find .380 ACP ammo again!

A

Anonymous

Vortex, heat dirtribution. More surface angles near the tip distributes heat of the very edge of the barrel... Being short, it prevents the possibility of warpage when the barrel gets hot... esp if a complete clip is unloaded in rapid succession.

Stainless, although a little more refined compisition metal and strong came become a little more brittle with continued heat applications. Switching to a more forgiving high quality steel (blued) treated is also a factor in keeping the barrel cooled.

Note: The information I provided is all wrong and meaningless. It only applies to my pickled brain but, it is information that was brought to my attention during a manufacturing tour through a R&D department that manufactures explosives.

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
DA_TriggR4Ruger":3svlrwpv said:
Cool, thnx for the info guys. Still deciding on a pocket piece. The LCP seems to be one of the more affordable ones right now. And i can actually find .380 ACP ammo again!
I've been carrying the LCP since it became available. I carried the Kel-Tec P3AT before that. My CCW class instructor put me onto the Kel-Tec. He's been carrying them for years. In fact he started out with the .32's. As soon as I got my LCP, I showed it to him. He bought one the next week. (we both have large hands and the Ruger just "feels" better in my hand)
Anyway, I would recommend the LCP, as long as you understand the drawbacks. First, it's a semi. As such, it is slightly more prone to malfunction than a revolver. (that's why you have to practice and KNOW that your ammo will work with your gun) Next, you need to be able to accept that .380acp is a less lethal round than a .38spl. That's just reality. Finally, a pistol that weighs less than a pound is not much fun to shoot, if you shoot it a lot. (you might want to find someone that will let you shoot theirs before you buy)
Given the limitations, I still think it is the best choice for me. It's the most easy to conceal handgun that I know of. I carry in both front pockets. The LCP's are in DeSantis Nemesis pocket holsters. Jeans, shorts, or suit pants - nobody will ever know.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger":3k3s7za6 said:
... Still deciding on a pocket piece. The LCP seems to be one of the more affordable ones right now. ...
I've been looking into this world recently too, and saw two others you might check into, if you haven't:

The Diamondback .380: http://www.gunblast.com/Diamondback380.htm
Just saw one today. $410 compared to the LCP at $310 at the same place (though they didn't have one in stock; They did have a two-tone LCP at $350). The Diamondback is like a little Glock, but without the little "safety" on the trigger. I have no experience with them, but they looked interesting.

Also got a chance to handle the Magnum Research Micro Eagle .380 yesterday. $449, and currently on sale at Davidsons. Nice feeling gun that could double as brass knuckles when you run out of ammo. 2.2" barrel compared to the LCP's 2.75", and almost 4oz heavier. Still, one of the more nice, solid feeling pocket pistols I've held.

A friend has the P3-A/T, and I have a Sig P232 which is a .380 but too big for pocket carry. None of these guns are "fun" to shoot, and are not what you would consider range toys. I'd probably shoot mine enough to be proficient, and often enough to ensure function, and that's about it.

In fact, with the LCP still experiencing guide rod peening issues, I'm not sure I'd want to shoot mine much at all. Once I've "proved" it I'd probably keep it in reserve for its intended purpose. As a friend pointed out, this would be the most "tool-like" of guns; It's not going to be an heirloom in 50 years.

-- Sam

A

Anonymous

Give it up Dr. Evil... as said by Austin Powers.. As mentioned above, the LCP is not much for range target shooting it you are working on target bull's eyes but for defence and concealment I found it to be a great choice.

I do enjoy shooting it however and don't find it wearing me down. I'm pleased with the fact I can hit a 5 gal plastic buck at 30 ft almost every time! So 6 rounds of 380 in a persons chest should slow him down!

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
Yosemite Sam":348b7vq2 said:
. . . It's not going to be an heirloom in 50 years.
-- Sam
If the gun control idiots have their way, it might be. :wink:
Seriously, any future restrictions on firearms will likely be directed at (1) "Black" or "Assault" rifles, and (2) handguns, semi-auto pistols in general, and especially the small ones like the LCP.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
slippingaway":3bc4lycp said:
LCPs started with the stainless barrels, then switched to the blued finish later on.

They all have that thin section, I think it has to do with the way the barrel and slide move in relation to each other when the slide starts to move rearward. They need clearance so that the barrel and slide don't bind. It's easier to machine it all the way around when they turn the barrel than to transfer them to a mill to cut out the slot only where it needs to be. At least, that's my best guess.

Are you sure? I don't think you are correct.
I do not think the barrel was ever stainless. It just was not blued.
I could be wrong, but I don't think there were ever stainless
LCP barrels.