Ruger LC Carbine 5.7x28mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I like cute little carbines. During the height of the ongoing ammo shortage, 5.7x28 ammo remained available.

I'll likely not end up owning one, but if I didn't already have all I need in this category, I could own one.

hittman

Staff member
Lovely, something else Ruger is making I have 0 interest in. Hope they have great success, maybe then they can make some Blackhawks again
Or any double action you can NOT fit in your pocket! ;)

After an overnight of contemplation, I'll change my comment: While I won't pay "be the first to have one" price, I will be on the lookout for an opportunity to own one of the carbines at a realistic price.
Overall length of the folded stock unit is about the same as the AR PDW I'm currently hauling. Surely, the 5.7x28 isn't excessively loud and should be a better choice for the 'there's a coyote-choot'em' scenario.

"That chambering does nothing for me. I would rather see one in .22mag or .30 carbine. Until then I will stick with 9mm."
That's reasonable BUT in some circles ANY rimfire is considered less trustworthy than a centerfire. The 5.7x28 is basically a better performing replacement for the 22WMR which feeds better in a stick mag. Once upon a time, I owned a semi-auto 22WMR--right up to the time when I experienced an OOB discharge due to a malfunction related to the rimfire design..
I don't understand why the 30 carbine hasn't seen a resurgence although OAL may be a factor. From an armchair perspective, the 30 carbine isn't a bad option but no one has really shown interest.
The initial 5.7x28 design was tailormade for PDW use including armor penetration capabilities although there's only so much that can be done with a .22 and 40 grains.
Granted, the 9x19 is fine until you need ranging capability beyond 75-100 yards or armor defeating capability.

NikA

Buckeye
The AR-57 uppers are becoming available again, and rumor is there will be a pistol/SBR version coming out in the next year. Takes FN P-90 magazines, mounts on an AR platform lower. Think I would consider that route unless I were invested in the 5.7 as a pistol round with the Ruger 57 as a companion.

Nothing particularly wrong with this offering, just seems like there are more compatible options based off an AR platform.

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
Ruger sure loves its plastic fantastics......this one does near zilch for me..YMMV!
It is not plastic.

Saw one and handled it at a local gun show Saturday. Very nice. After researching the 5.7 x 28 round and realizing that the Secret Service is using it, I ordered one a few hours ago (at way, way less than MSRP).

Also have 200 rounds of ammo and two extra factory magazines coming.

Vegasgunhand

Bearcat
A couple of observations since getting a 57 Carbine. I think this is going to be one great home defense gun. Install a light, and a "shake awake" optic, and you have a pretty potent package. The ability for even a relatively new shooter to put multiple rounds on target in quick session, makes for a formidable package. The round also becomes less penetrative than a 9 mm bullet when it hits a sheet rock wall. So there is less chance a stray round will strike a loved one in another room. And lets face it, if an intruder is hammered by several rounds of 5.7x28, he will be less likely to continue to be a threat to you or your family. The U.S. Secret Service has used the 5.7x28 for many years in their FN P90 submachineguns, and have been very impressed with it. And as with ALL handgun calibers, it is still bullet placement that wins a gunfight.

There are very few standard factory magazines that hold more than the 20 rounds of the Ruger 57. And there are already aftermarket manufacturers who are making magazine extensions for the 57. I'm sure as this system takes off, there may even be a Ruger factory magazine with higher capacity coming. Even with "just" 20 rounds, I don't think a home owner is not going to have sufficient ammo to stop a home invasion.

The down side of this little carbine is of course the cost of the ammunition, it is higher than even most 5.56 ammo. I feel with all the new weapons chambered for the 5.7x28 cartridge coming out from Palmetto State Armory, CMMG, AR57, and this Ruger 57, the ammunition will have a much stronger market. The ammo companies can see the potential to stepping up the 5.7 production line.

So is the Ruger 57 perfect? No, but IMHO, with the addition of a light and optic, it is an awesome choice for a home defense weapon.

Ruger sure loves its plastic fantastics......this one does near zilch for me..YMMV!
IMG_20210606_200835218.jpg

There's a Ruger for you in 5.7x28

As you can see from the furry bits, the cartridge is hell on small animals

Wasn't much left of that rabbit!