Ruger KRL-1236-BRE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

357 Max

Bearcat
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I have owned Rugers most all of my life starting with a 3 screw Super Blackhawk in 1977. Since then I've built up a small collection of Rugers of several old model Blackhawks, 10-22's, Number One's, and a new model 357 Max.

I recently have gotten back into shooting clays and have my eye on a Red Label engraved KRL-1236-BRE 12 gauge 3" 30" over under. From what I can see on Gunbroker and Guns America, these are going for roughly $1200-$1300 new.

There is a dealer local to me that has a new one at $2800. In his web add he says the following:

Very rare and early (1997-2000) hand engraved model of the Red Label. This gun is a one of a kind Ruger! Research shows only one 12ga with the special number KRL1236BRE that is shown on the end label of factory box and this is it!. Less than 300 of these hand engraved models were ever put out by Ruger in all gauges. New and unfired in factory box and paperwork. This gun is destined to appreciate in value!

I really don't know if the dealer is misinformed or whether he really has a one of a kind gun. It would seem that a KRL-1236-BRE is a KRL-1236-BRE. I've looked at the gun and the factory box it comes in and I can't find anything different about it.

Before I have a conversation with the dealer regarding his "One of a Kind" statement, I thought it was worth asking the experts. Any input you could give me would be very much appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Richard

Nothing special about that number but there are hand engraved guns . They are called a, b or C engraved. The box would note they engraving. If it is the right one it should be a B level engraving. A call to Ruger records with the SN will confirm if it is truly a hand engraved gun. BTW Chad's Ruger reference book says there is one known . However there may be more just not reported. No disrespect to Chad I have one several occasions found additions of other catagories. Ruger does not provide records to the public about production qty's of various configurations. Chad depends on feedback from us so post the sn here

357 Max

Bearcat
Thanks very much for the information.

I called Ruger and they told me that based on the serial number, the gun was made in July of 2006. Based on Fjestad's book, hand engraved Red Label's were built between 1997-2000.

Sounds like this one is a standard BRE and these are going for about half of what he wants for this one.

On another note I did hours of beating up the web for reviews and comments on the Red Label in general and found that there were numerous claims of barrels becoming loose, forends rattling, ejectors not operating, and shot patterns way off of center. All of which were sent back to Ruger for repair. I own and have owned many ruger rifles and handguns (never a shotgun) and the last thing I've ever had to worry about was the gun's reliability, strength, or any kind of repair. Makes me wonder if maybe I ought to look to another brand for an over under shotgun.

Thanks again for your comments.
Richard

Every manufacturer will have an occasional lemon, I've gun well over 20,000 rounds thru my 20 ga with no problems. On my 28 I dropped the receiver and it landed on the operning lever busting the catch. I told Ruger exactly what happened and that it was not a warranty repair yet they fixed it and sent it back for FREE. I doublt you'd get that sevrice from the other guys. It really depends on your intented use. Rugers are a strong gun and that means heavier than the alloy guns. Plus their wood especially on the earler ones seems denser also resulting in more weight.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I guarantee you won't get that service from Browning or Beretta. Also, Ruger is the only one that makes a smaller frame for the sub gauges, everybody else uses a 12 gauge frame and puts 20 or 28 gauge barrels on it.

I have a 20 and a 28 that I really enjoy, I'd sure like to get an engraved 12 gauge for my brother when he graduates college.